What is the correct way to write 1/2i in Matlab?

In summary, an inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. Finding the inverse of a matrix is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and statistics, as it allows for solving systems of equations and performing other mathematical operations. The methods for finding the inverse depend on the size and complexity of the matrix. Only square matrices that are non-singular have an inverse. It is crucial to check for the existence of an inverse before attempting to find it, as not all matrices have one and it can affect the accuracy of calculations.
danik_ejik
I don't understand what am I doing wrong!?
please help:

gif.latex?A=\begin{pmatrix}%201%20&%201\\%20i%20&%20-i%20\end{pmatrix}.gif

I need to find the inverse of A,
so
gif.gif

and
2i%20\end{pmatrix}.gif

but Matlab returns me
2i%20\end{pmatrix}.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
danik_ejik said:
2i%20\end{pmatrix}.gif

Look more closely. Are you sure it's not this?

2)i%20\end{pmatrix}.gif

no, I'm not sure...
but what am I doing wrong ?

When you write 1/2i the reader doesn't know whether you mean (1/2)i or 1/(2i). Be more specific by using parentheses in these situations.

As for your problem, for which matrix [tex]A^{-1}[/tex] above do you find that [tex]AA^{-1} =1[/tex]? That is the inverse. We can't tell because we don't know what you mean by 1/2i.

What is an inverse of a matrix?

An inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, it undoes the effects of the original matrix.

Why is finding the inverse of a matrix important in science?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It allows us to solve systems of equations, calculate determinants, and perform other mathematical operations that are essential in analyzing data and making predictions.

How do you find the inverse of a matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination, the adjugate method, or the inverse matrix formula. The method you choose will depend on the size and complexity of the matrix.

What types of matrices have no inverse?

Only square matrices (matrices with an equal number of rows and columns) can have an inverse. Additionally, a matrix must be non-singular (its determinant must not equal zero) in order to have an inverse. Matrices that do not meet these criteria have no inverse.

Why is it important to check if a matrix has an inverse before attempting to find it?

It is important to check if a matrix has an inverse before attempting to find it because not all matrices have an inverse. If a matrix does not have an inverse, attempting to find it will result in an error or incorrect solution. It is also important to check for the existence of an inverse because it can affect the accuracy and validity of your calculations.