Help with Laws of Motion Problem

In summary, the maximum angle of inclination, @, that will prevent the insect from slipping on the hemi-spherical shell is defined by cot@=3. This can be determined by considering the angle of repose on a flat surface with a coefficient of friction of 1/3 and applying it to a tangent plane on the shell.
physixguru

Homework Statement

An insect crawls very slowly on a hemi-spherical shell..
The coeff. of friction between insect and surface of sphere is 1/3.
The line joining the centre of the shell to the insect makes an angle of @ with the vertical.

THE MAX VALUE OF @ IS DEFINED BY...?

a)cosec@=3
b)tan@=3
c)cot@=3
d)sec@=3

Help will be higly appreciated>><<

Physics news on Phys.org
physixguru said:

Homework Statement

An insect crawls very slowly on a hemi-spherical shell..
The coeff. of friction between insect and surface of sphere is 1/3.

The thing to consider is this. What angle would a flat surface make to the horizontal before an object on it would just start to slip, if the coefficient of friction between that object and the surface were
1/3? Now consider a small flat surface that is tangent to the surface of the hemisphere. Where on the shell would the tilt of that surface to the horizontal have that value you found? For the imaginary line from the center of the shell to that tangent point on the shell's surface, what angle to the vertical does that line make? (A little drawing would be helpful here.)

Sir i think the concept to be used here is the same as that of angle of repose in an inclined plane...i.e. the maximum value of inclination that prevents the object to slip...

am i correct with the thought application?

thanks a lot sir...

your concept of placing a horizontal plane was really helpful...

i assumed the plane to be a banked road for the insect..and then since the ques says that the insect moves very slowly..then i am sure it does not possesses the max velocity..
for a car on a banked rd and whose v is less than v[max]..the car can be parked only if
tan@<=coeff. of friction.
similarly the case with insect on the hemispherical shell...

applying the rule,,we get...

tan@<=1/3
solving we get..cot@<=3

hence max angle is defined by...cot@=3.

THANKS A LOT AGAIN...

physixguru;1560985 i assumed the plane to be a banked road for the insect..and then since the ques says that the insect moves very slowly..then i am sure it does not possesses the max velocity.. for a car on a banked rd and whose v is less than v[max said:
..the car can be parked only if
tan@<=coeff. of friction.
similarly the case with insect on the hemispherical shell...

A velocity is not really important to the problem. As with the car on the banked road, the issue is with the amount of static friction. The insect would not even be able to stay in place if it were further down on the shell.

applying the rule,,we get...

tan@<=1/3
solving we get..cot@<=3

hence max angle is defined by...cot@=3.

I agree. :-) (The angle that the imaginary tangent plane makes to the horizontal is the same as the angle the line from the center of the shell to the tangent point makes with the vertical.)

Last edited:

1. What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion are:

1. First Law: An object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.
  2. Second Law: The force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.
  3. Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do you apply the laws of motion to a problem?

The first step in applying the laws of motion to a problem is to identify the forces acting on the object. Then, use the equations for each law to solve for the unknown variables. It is important to consider the direction and magnitude of the forces in order to accurately apply the laws.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object and is measured in kilograms. Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object and is measured in newtons. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. Can the laws of motion be broken?

No, the laws of motion are fundamental principles of physics and have been extensively tested and proven to be true. However, in extreme conditions such as in outer space or in the quantum world, some aspects of the laws may appear to behave differently.

5. How are the laws of motion related to everyday life?

The laws of motion are applicable to many everyday situations, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. These laws help us understand how objects move and the forces acting on them, which can help us make predictions and solve problems in our daily lives.