Matrix Homework: Solving f(A)=0 with A^5 | Help with Polynomial Determinant

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that f(A)=0 and evaluate A^5, where A is a given matrix and f(x) is a polynomial. The solution involves determining the characteristic polynomial of f(x) and using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem to evaluate A^5. There is also a discussion about the trick involved in solving the problem and a caution to only provide helpful information when assisting others.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

if A=

[
1 2 1
2 3 1
3 5 3 ]

and f(x) is the polynomial given by
f(x) =
det
1-x 2 1
2 3-x 1
3 5 3-x

show that f(A) = 0. Evaluate A^5do i get the determinant of A and put into the det of f(x)?
Not really sure how to go about this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The way to go about this is to determine the characteristic polynomial f(x) and then evaluate f(A). There is a bit of a trick in doing this. The characteristic polynomial is obviously a cubic: [itex]f(x)=a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+a_3x^3[/itex]. Write this as [itex]f(x)=a_0x^0+a_1x^1+a_2x^2+a_3x^3[/itex].

The trick: Just as any non-zero scalar taken to the zeroth power is 1, a non-singular square matrix raised to the zeroth power is the identity matrix.

Just for further reading, you can check out Cayley-Hamilton's theorem on wiki. It's relevant but not necessary to solve the problem.

im not following what u are doing but i got the det of f(x) which i got to be -x^3+x^2-3x-1
so I am figuring what i ab going to do now is sub in A and do all the sums and hope it = 0, is this wrong?

ok my approch didnt work, could u explain the trick bit to be again please?

gtfitzpatrick said:
im not following what u are doing but i got the det of f(x) which i got to be -x^3+x^2-3x-1
so I am figuring what i ab going to do now is sub in A and do all the sums and hope it = 0, is this wrong?

It looks like you dropped a 7 in your determinant calculation. I got:

f(x) = -x^3 + 7*x^2 - 3*x -1

so f(A) = ?

gtfitzpatrick said:
ok my approch didnt work, could u explain the trick bit to be again please?

For the first problem solve both determinants and substitute the solution of the det. A for "x" in the second determinant.

For A5, use the value that you have found before and just put it on power 5.

Regards.

ahhhhhhh yes thanks a mill that got it,
evaluate A^5 there is obviously a trick to this, surely i can't have to work it all out?

oh right see the other reply now, thanks a mill

right still on this, i have the det of f(x) = -x^3 + 7*x^2 - 3*x -1 and i subed in matrix A, and did the sums and it = 0, which is what i should get. then i tried what Дьявол said and got the det of A which i got to be -1 and subed this value back into det of f(x) and i got an answer of 10, which isn't right, and then which value do i put ^5?

gtfitzpatrick said:
right still on this, i have the det of f(x) = -x^3 + 7*x^2 - 3*x -1 and i subed in matrix A, and did the sums and it = 0, which is what i should get. then i tried what Дьявол said and got the det of A which i got to be -1 and subed this value back into det of f(x) and i got an answer of 10, which isn't right, and then which value do i put ^5?

[tex]det(A)=\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 2 & 1\\
2 & 3 & 1\\
3 & 5 & 3
\end{vmatrix}=-1
[/tex]

So det(A)5=(-1)5, right?

Regards.

Last edited:

Дьявол said:
[tex]A=\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 2 & 1\\
2 & 3 & 1\\
3 & 5 & 3
\end{vmatrix}=-1
[/tex]

So A5=(-1)5, right?

Regards.

Дьявол, I don't mean to be rude, or anything, but do you really know what you are saying?? Did you actually solve the problem? Can you really solve it?

Unless you want to confuse the OP with what you "think" to be true, please don't post anything. Please only help people, if you actually know how to help!

Everyone needs to learn, this is true for all of us. If that's a new problem for you, and you are not even sure how to solve it. Please stand by and listen. You cannot pretend to be know-it-all, while in fact, you don't know anything!.. :|

I know, guiding other people, and helping them is very nice. Just make sure that you post don't make other people (especially the OP, who's needing help the most) confused.

gtfitzpatrick said:
right still on this, i have the det of f(x) = -x^3 + 7*x^2 - 3*x -1 and i subed in matrix A, and did the sums and it = 0, which is what i should get. then i tried what Дьявол said and got the det of A which i got to be -1 and subed this value back into det of f(x) and i got an answer of 10, which isnt right, and then which value do i put ^5?

He did solve one part of the problem, but did you?? :confused:

-----------------------

@OP: A is not a determinant, it's a matrix, you just need to sub A in the expression:

f(x) = -x3 + 7x2 - 3x -1

And you'll have f(A) = 0.

To calculate A5, you can do as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayley–Hamilton_theorem#Examples".

Read from:

Wikipedia said:
Examples

[...]

The Cayley–Hamilton theorem then claims that
[tex]A^2 - 5A - 2I_2 = \left( \begin{array}{ll} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Then, for example, to calculate A4, observe

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:

VietDao29 said:
Дьявол, I don't mean to be rude, or anything, but do you really know what you are saying?? Did you actually solve the problem? Can you really solve it?

Unless you want to confuse the OP with what you "think" to be true, please don't post anything. Please only help people, if you actually know how to help!

Everyone needs to learn, this is true for all of us. If that's a new problem for you, and you are not even sure how to solve it. Please stand by and listen. You cannot pretend to be know-it-all, while in fact, you don't know anything!.. :|

I know, guiding other people, and helping them is very nice. Just make sure that you post don't make other people (especially the OP, who's needing help the most) confused.
He did solve one part of the problem, but did you?? :confused:

-----------------------

@OP: A is not a determinant, it's a matrix, you just need to sub A in the expression:

f(x) = -x3 + 7x2 - 3x -1

And you'll have f(A) = 0.

To calculate A5, you can do as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayley–Hamilton_theorem#Examples".

Read from:

@VietDao29

Could you please possibly explain what was wrong with my statement?

Maybe the OP is not so experienced, to multiply matrices.

I guess he need to solve the determinant and power it to 5.

He got 2 separate problems, and he mixed them up. That's why he is confused, not because of my statement.

Why did you say that I lack of knowledge? What did I do wrong? What is your level of knowledge?

Regards.

Edit: Aahh, I see, you're are telling me about det(A)5 and not A5. I just missed the notation det. Sorry about it, it was typo.

Now, do you think that he would understand anything from the Cayley-Hamilton theorem?

I would better find [itex]A^2=A \cdot A [/itex] and then [itex]A^5=A^2 \cdot A^2 \cdot A[/itex]

Look, I always try to make the things as simple as possible. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

There was an initial misunderstanding that you may have compounded.

He gave a matrix A, a function f(x) and asked about showing that f(A)= 0. Also then asked about calculating A5.

His misunderstanding was when he said "do i get the determinant of A and put into the det of f(x)?" There is nothing in the problem that says anything about the determinants of A and you may have compounded the misunderstanding by saying, yes, he should find the determinant of A and put that into f(x) (which is specifically given by a determinant). It is A itself that should be put into f(x). But the real point is that every matrix satisifes its own characteristic equation. Since f(x)= 0 is the characteristic equation of A, if he has that theorem, the problem is easy. That's one difficulty not showing any work- we have no idea if he has already seen that theorem or if this exercise is asking him to actually calculate f(x) and then calculate f(A) as a preliminary to that theorem.

1. How do I solve a matrix equation?

To solve a matrix equation, you can use the Gaussian elimination method or the inverse matrix method. In the Gaussian elimination method, you use elementary row operations to transform the matrix into reduced row echelon form. In the inverse matrix method, you find the inverse of the coefficient matrix and multiply it with the constant matrix to get the solution.

2. What is the purpose of using matrices in math?

Matrices are used in math to represent and solve systems of linear equations, perform transformations in geometry, and calculate probabilities in statistics. They also have applications in computer graphics and engineering for solving complex problems.

3. How do I add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, they must have the same dimensions. You simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix to get the resulting matrix. Make sure to follow the rules of matrix addition and subtraction, such as commutativity and associativity.

4. Can I multiply any two matrices together?

No, not all matrices can be multiplied together. The number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. This rule is known as the multiplication compatibility rule. If the rule is satisfied, the resulting matrix will have the dimensions of the first matrix's rows and the second matrix's columns.

5. What is a determinant of a matrix?

A determinant is a real number associated with a square matrix. It is calculated by a specific formula and represents the volume of a parallelepiped spanned by the column or row vectors of the matrix. The determinant can be used to determine if a matrix has an inverse and to solve systems of equations.