1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Maxwell-Boltzmann Energy Distribution stuff

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to determine the fractions of electrons with energy between E=2ev and E=3ev. to simplify the equation I have substituted everything out leaving an integral which is what I need help with.

2. Relevant equations
    f(x)=(Sqrt(x)*e^-x)dx
    -integrate from x=1 to x=1.5
    -divide into 5 parts

3. The attempt at a solution
    After simplifying and factoring all constants the above equation is what I'm left with. I'm quite confused with this integral but was told by my professor to divide the interval into five equal segments and approximate the area under each rectangle. I remember doing something similar to this in a previous calc class involving riemann sums, whereby I belive the rectangles were also used, but I cannot seem to recall the necessary steps to solving this definite integral. Any ideas and suggestions would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2
    This integral looks like the gamma function except that the limits of integration are different. I'm not sure if that helps you or not, but I believe you could find some help by learning more about the gamma function.

But I'd probably just use an integral table because I can never remember how to do Riemann sums when I need to. lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook