1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with partial fraction in control systems

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    I'm having problem with task (a) in this problem

The question
    tNnLL2U.png

My attempt
    Vd3hqJC.png

The solution
    v4FGIwt.png

Why don't I get the same after I take the partial fraction using my calculator? And where does this R(s)=1/s^2 come from

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

1/s2 is the Laplace transform of the driving signal R(s). The Laplace transform of a ramp r(t)=t is R(s) = 1/s2.

Remember that a transfer function F(s) is the Laplace domain equivalent of the ratio of the output signal to the input. So if the input is R(s) then:

Y(s) = R(s)*F(s)

The transfer function that you've wrapped in "expand" doesn't appear to correspond to the one given in the problem statement.

4. Sep 3, 2013 #3
    Thanks. I copied the problem from a pdf i found online to post here. But I guess they changed the numbers in the problem cause it's not the same numbers as in my book. So the solution manual doesn't show the correct answers to my book even though they are the same editon.

5. Sep 3, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can always check a PFD by adding the different fractions together to see if you get the original expression.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted