Help with partial fraction in control systems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with task (a) involving partial fractions and the use of a calculator. It is explained that the Laplace transform of a ramp signal is 1/s^2, and that the transfer function is the ratio of the output signal to the input. The conversation also mentions discrepancies between the problem given and the solution manual, and suggests checking the PDF for accuracy.
Huumah
I'm having problem with task (a) in this problem

The question
tNnLL2U.png

My attempt
Vd3hqJC.png

The solution
v4FGIwt.png

Why don't I get the same after I take the partial fraction using my calculator? And where does this R(s)=1/s^2 come from

Physics news on Phys.org
1/s2 is the Laplace transform of the driving signal R(s). The Laplace transform of a ramp r(t)=t is R(s) = 1/s2.

Remember that a transfer function F(s) is the Laplace domain equivalent of the ratio of the output signal to the input. So if the input is R(s) then:

Y(s) = R(s)*F(s)

The transfer function that you've wrapped in "expand" doesn't appear to correspond to the one given in the problem statement.

Likes 1 person
Thanks. I copied the problem from a pdf i found online to post here. But I guess they changed the numbers in the problem cause it's not the same numbers as in my book. So the solution manual doesn't show the correct answers to my book even though they are the same editon.

You can always check a PFD by adding the different fractions together to see if you get the original expression.

Likes 1 person

As a scientist with expertise in control systems, I can offer some insights on the issue you are facing with partial fraction decomposition. Firstly, it is important to note that partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex rational expressions by breaking them down into simpler fractions. It is commonly used in control systems to solve problems involving transfer functions.

Regarding your specific problem, it is essential to carefully follow the steps of partial fraction decomposition to ensure accurate results. I suggest reviewing the process and double-checking your calculations to identify any errors that may have led to a different result on your calculator.

As for the term R(s)=1/s^2, it is a residue term that appears in the partial fraction decomposition of a second-order transfer function. It represents the inverse Laplace transform of a pole at the origin, and it is used to determine the system's response to a unit step input. It is a crucial component in control systems analysis and plays a significant role in understanding system behavior.

In conclusion, I recommend revisiting the steps of partial fraction decomposition and seeking assistance from a tutor or colleague if needed. It is also helpful to understand the significance of the residue term in control systems analysis. I hope this information helps you in solving task (a) and gaining a better understanding of partial fraction decomposition in control systems.

1. What are partial fractions in control systems?

Partial fractions in control systems are a mathematical technique used to simplify complex equations and functions into smaller, more manageable parts. It is commonly used in the field of control systems to analyze and design systems with multiple inputs and outputs.

2. Why are partial fractions important in control systems?

Partial fractions are important in control systems because they allow for the analysis and design of complex systems by breaking them down into simpler components. This makes it easier to understand and manipulate the system to achieve desired outcomes.

3. How do you solve for partial fractions in control systems?

To solve for partial fractions in control systems, you first need to factor the denominator of the fraction into its individual terms. Then, you can use the method of equating coefficients to determine the values of the unknown coefficients in the partial fraction. Finally, you can combine the partial fractions to get the final solution.

4. What are the applications of partial fractions in control systems?

Partial fractions have various applications in control systems, including system identification, controller design, and stability analysis. They are also used in the design of filters, amplifiers, and other electronic circuits.

5. Can partial fractions be used in non-linear control systems?

Yes, partial fractions can be used in non-linear control systems. However, the process may be more complex as the equations and functions involved may not be easily factorable. In such cases, numerical methods or approximation techniques may be used to solve for the partial fractions.