1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with physics transformation homework

1. Feb 4, 2004 #1
    This isn't really homework, but we are doing it in Geometry, and I'm having some trouble understanding it for some reason.

I know how easy it is supposed to be, but I'm having problems solving.

More specifically, with rotations.

Like say they give me coordinates on a coordinate plane, (x,y). 3 of these coordinates are given to make a quadrilateral.

And let's say they ask us to rotate it clockwise 90 and 180 degrees.

Counter-clockwise 260 degrees.

Is there anyway I can solve for that without moving my book around and making pencil marks all over my textbook?

Isn't the transformation suppose to be: (x,y) ---> (-y,x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll give you some hints:

The formula for rotating points involves sin and cos.

If you can rotate <0,1> and <1,0> thought an angle of &theta; then <1,1> should be easy.

Perhaps this type of thing is easier in polar coordinates?
  4. Feb 5, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you sure it was 260 degrees? There is a general formula for any number of degrees but it is complicated and uses trigonometry.
    Since the other examples you gave we 90 and 180, 270 degrees seems much more likely.

I like NateTG's suggestion. Start with the point (1,0). A 90 degree rotation moves it to (0, 1). A 180 degree rotation (another 90 degrees) takes it to (-1,0). A 270 degree rotation (three 90 degree rotations) take it to (0, -1). Now what happens to the point (a, 0) ("a" is some number) with each of those rotations?

Similarly, the point (0,1), rotated 90 degrees, becomes (-1,0), rotated 180 degrees, becomes (0, -1) and, rotated 270 degrees becomes (1,0). What do you think happens to (0,b) under those same rotations.

Now put them together. What happens to the point (a,b)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?