Help with physics transformation homework

In summary, the conversation involves understanding rotations in geometry and solving problems involving rotating coordinates on a coordinate plane. The formula for rotating points involves sin and cos and can be easier to solve in polar coordinates. There is a general formula for any number of degrees, but it is complicated and involves trigonometry. One suggestion is to start with simple points (0,1) and (1,0) and see how they are rotated at different angles. Then, combine these rotations to understand what happens to an arbitrary point (a,b).
Dagenais
This isn't really homework, but we are doing it in Geometry, and I'm having some trouble understanding it for some reason.

I know how easy it is supposed to be, but I'm having problems solving.

More specifically, with rotations.

Like say they give me coordinates on a coordinate plane, (x,y). 3 of these coordinates are given to make a quadrilateral.

And let's say they ask us to rotate it clockwise 90 and 180 degrees.

Counter-clockwise 260 degrees.

Is there anyway I can solve for that without moving my book around and making pencil marks all over my textbook?

Isn't the transformation suppose to be: (x,y) ---> (-y,x)?

[?]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you some hints:

The formula for rotating points involves sin and cos.

If you can rotate <0,1> and <1,0> thought an angle of &theta; then <1,1> should be easy.

Perhaps this type of thing is easier in polar coordinates?

Are you sure it was 260 degrees? There is a general formula for any number of degrees but it is complicated and uses trigonometry.
Since the other examples you gave we 90 and 180, 270 degrees seems much more likely.

I like NateTG's suggestion. Start with the point (1,0). A 90 degree rotation moves it to (0, 1). A 180 degree rotation (another 90 degrees) takes it to (-1,0). A 270 degree rotation (three 90 degree rotations) take it to (0, -1). Now what happens to the point (a, 0) ("a" is some number) with each of those rotations?

Similarly, the point (0,1), rotated 90 degrees, becomes (-1,0), rotated 180 degrees, becomes (0, -1) and, rotated 270 degrees becomes (1,0). What do you think happens to (0,b) under those same rotations.

Now put them together. What happens to the point (a,b)?

1. What is a transformation in physics?

In physics, a transformation is a mathematical operation that changes the coordinates or variables of a system in order to describe its behavior in a different frame of reference. This can include translations, rotations, and scaling.

2. Why do we use transformations in physics?

Transformations are used in physics to simplify and generalize the description of a system. By changing the frame of reference, we can often make calculations and observations easier and more accurate.

3. What are some common transformations used in physics?

Some common transformations used in physics include Galilean transformations, Lorentz transformations, and rotational transformations. These are used to describe the motion and behavior of objects in different reference frames.

4. How do I know which transformation to use in a given situation?

The appropriate transformation to use depends on the specific problem and the variables involved. It is important to carefully consider the frame of reference and the desired outcome before selecting a transformation to use.

5. How can I apply transformations in real-life situations?

Transformations are used in a variety of real-life situations, such as in navigation, engineering, and astronomy. They can also be used to understand and describe the behavior of physical systems, such as the motion of a projectile or the behavior of waves.