Help with PLL Circuits | Get Expert Advice

• Thread starter Geeky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: The first stage offset adder and integrator is designed and built. The first stage offset adder is a summing amplifier and the integrator is a op-amp. The AC source with 1 Vac, is passed through the R3 and R1, R3 will later be a variable resistor when I transfer this to PCB. The 5V added by V2 becomes 2.5V at the output of U1 (first Op-amp). I tried calculating it out, but could not get the exact point. Please advice. The second stage is a op-amp that is the integrator. The frequency response diagram shows the 3dB is approximately at 200 kHz. But by using 1/
Geeky
Hi guys,

How are you all? I am trying to build to a PLL circuits. As part of the circuit, I will need an offset adder, integrator, rectifier, and another stage of offset adder.

I haven't done circuits for very long time. So please bear with me if I am mistaken.

Appreciate your help.

I have designed the first stage offset adder and integrator.

Please see attached diagrams. Schematic 1 is the circuit for offset adder which basically a summing amplifier, and then the second stage op-amp is the integrator.

The AC source with 1 Vac, is passed through the R3 and R1, R3 will later be a variable resistor when I transfer this to PCB.

From the diagram, I don't understand how the 5V added by V2 becomes 2.5V at the output of U1 (first Op-amp). I tried calculating it out, but could not get the exact point. Please advice.

Then, at the second stage. If you see the frequency response diagram. The 3dB is approximately at 200 kHz. But by using 1/2[tex]\prod[/tex]RC formula, R=R3 and C=C1, which are 1 kohm and 50 pF, respectively, the cutoff should be approximately 3.1 MHz. So I don't really get it. Please advice if I am in the right direction, or the equivalent circuit calculation is wrong.

Please point where I am going wrong. I have also attached the time domain graph. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Schematic1.jpg
    Schematic1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Frequency response.jpg
    Frequency response.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 470
  • Time response.jpg
    Time response.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 434
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The numbers don't make any sense to me. Did you forget power to the opamps?

Thanks. I fixed it, its the variable resistor. Thanks again.

Between, I have found the XR-2211A that could do the job :

See attached datasheet.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/7277.pdf"]http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/7277.pdf"]http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/7277.pdf

The datasheet provides the circuit construction for tone detection, and I need that. But however, it is unclear how could I tap out the VCO output, cause that is what I need, I need the locked VCO output.

Please anyone, advice me, I really don't understand.

Geeky said:
The datasheet provides the circuit construction for tone detection, and I need that. But however, it is unclear how could I tap out the VCO output, cause that is what I need, I need the locked VCO output.
I'm not familiar with that IC, but looking at the datasheet I think you could tap the waveform at pin 13 or 14 and use a high-impedance analog buffer/comparator to square it up.

I choose not to use the IC. I built my own circuit. Thanks NascentOxygen.

I have built the circuit in practical. Its working fine. But I have a small problem, please see the attached schematic.

So the signal goes through a summing amp, integrator, full wave rectifier and final summing amp. All the sections are working fine. But after full wave rectifier (Op amp U4), there a is a DC offset. I don't want that DC offset. Because I would like to add DC through the final stage of summing amp from 0V to any arbitrary +V. So how can I remove the DC, I don't want any inline capacitor. I am thinking of buffer, will that be the correct move?

Please advice.

Attachments

• Schematic1.jpg
    Schematic1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 454
Geeky said:
I choose not to use the IC. I built my own circuit.
You invented this design yourself, did you? Or what is it based on?

So the signal goes through a summing amp, integrator, full wave rectifier and final summing amp. All the sections are working fine. But after full wave rectifier (Op amp U4), there a is a DC offset. I don't want that DC offset.
That DC component is a consequence of the preceding stages.

I'm not sure this is a PLL. Where is your phase detector? Where is your VCO?

Hi NascentOxygen. Yes. I combined bits and pieces from here and there. I have external mixer and VCO. The subsequent mixed baseband signal error signal will go through this circuit.

Thanks!

Geeky said:
Hi NascentOxygen. Yes. I combined bits and pieces from here and there. I have external mixer and VCO. The subsequent mixed baseband signal error signal will go through this circuit.

Thanks!
I think you need to explain what each OP-AMP block does here. Where will the error signal connect into this circuit? Is the 100k signal source part of this, and is it sinusoidal or square wave? What function does the fast integrator perform?

1. What is a PLL circuit?

A phase-locked loop (PLL) circuit is an electronic circuit used to generate a stable output signal with a frequency that is a multiple of an input signal's frequency. It consists of a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO), phase detector, and a feedback loop.

2. How does a PLL circuit work?

A PLL circuit works by comparing the phase and frequency of a reference input signal with an output signal from the VCO. The phase detector generates an error signal that is used to adjust the VCO's frequency and phase until it matches the input signal, resulting in a stable output signal.

3. What are the applications of PLL circuits?

PLL circuits have various applications in electronics, including frequency synthesis, clock generation, frequency modulation, demodulation, and frequency multiplication. They are also used in communication systems, audio equipment, and digital circuits.

4. What are some common problems with PLL circuits?

Some common problems with PLL circuits include noise, phase jitter, and frequency instability. These issues can arise due to component imperfections, temperature changes, or external interference. Proper design and component selection can help minimize these problems.

5. How can I get expert advice for help with PLL circuits?

The best way to get expert advice for help with PLL circuits is to consult with a qualified electrical engineer or seek assistance from a reputable electronics forum or community. It is also beneficial to research and familiarize yourself with the fundamentals of PLL circuits and troubleshooting techniques.