Help with RC circuits SPDT switch

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the voltage after a switch is moved up at t=0. The solution involves using the equation V(t)=10e^(-2.5t)V, where V(infinity) is 0V and the current is 0A due to the equal and opposite voltages on the two capacitors.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

Find v(t) after t=0, when the switch moves up
mj7pqg.png

need to know if i did this right.. V(C1)=V(C2)=10V (this is same for t=0- and 0+)
V(infinity)=0V (no voltage source)

T=RC=100k(ohm)*(4uF)=0.4 sec. (i got the 4uF by putting the 2 caps. in parallel with each other, because they are in series after t=0.)

v(t)=v(infinity)+[v(0)-v(infinity)]*e^(-t/T) <-- general equation
V(t)=10e^(-2.5t)V
where i got -2.5t by dividing -t/0.4

please help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rethink your V(infinity). If both VC1(0+) and VC2(0+) are the same (10V at t = 0+), what potential difference exists to drive a current through the 100 kΩ resistor?

well there wouldn't be any current would there? and i thought V(infinity) would go to 0V once the voltage source gets disconected. the caps. in dc are replaced by an open circuit so i believe current would also be 0A.

asdf12312 said:
well there wouldn't be any current would there? and i thought V(infinity) would go to 0V once the voltage source gets disconected. the caps. in dc are replaced by an open circuit so i believe current would also be 0A.

With no current flow, the charges on the caps cannot change...

sorry for the long delay, was waiting for my teacher to post homework answers because i was unsure myself.
20g1sug.png

according to this, i(t) is 0. because i think the 2 capacitors voltage cancel out? 10V-10V=0V.

asdf12312 said:
sorry for the long delay, was waiting for my teacher to post homework answers because i was unsure myself.

:
:​

according to this, i(t) is 0. because i think the 2 capacitors voltage cancel out? 10V-10V=0V.
Yup. A more technically satisfying way to put it would be that because the potentials across the two capacitors are identical, the potential difference across the 100kΩ resistor is zero so that no current will flow through it. And since no current flows, the charges (and thus the potentials) on the capacitors will remain constant.

1. What is a SPDT switch?

A SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch is a type of electrical switch that has three terminals: one common terminal and two output terminals. It allows for two different circuits to be connected to the common terminal, and by flipping the switch, the circuit can be connected to one of the output terminals.

2. How does a SPDT switch work in an RC circuit?

In an RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit, the SPDT switch is used to control the flow of current. When the switch is in one position, the circuit is connected to the resistor, and when it is flipped, the circuit is connected to the capacitor. This allows for the charging and discharging of the capacitor in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a SPDT switch in an RC circuit?

The purpose of the SPDT switch in an RC circuit is to control the flow of current and change the behavior of the circuit. By flipping the switch, the circuit can switch between being connected to the resistor or the capacitor, allowing for different responses and behaviors in the circuit.

4. How do I choose the right SPDT switch for my RC circuit?

The right SPDT switch for your RC circuit will depend on the voltage and current requirements of your circuit. Make sure to check the specifications of the switch to ensure it can handle the voltage and current levels of your circuit. You should also consider the size and type of switch that will fit best in your circuit design.

5. Can I use a SPDT switch in other types of circuits?

Yes, a SPDT switch can be used in various types of circuits, including AC and DC circuits. It can also be used in simple or complex circuits, depending on the design and purpose. However, make sure to check the specifications and ratings of the switch to ensure it is suitable for your specific circuit.