Solving a PDE System with Arbitrary g(s): Help for Senior Thesis

In summary, the conversation discusses a PDE system with initial conditions and arbitrary function g(s). The speaker is seeking help in solving the PDE and finding a solution that fits the initial conditions. Separation of variables and superposition of solutions are suggested as possible methods for solving the PDE.
Lucradan
Hello Everyone!

I'm a newb to these forums, and I'm having some difficulties with my senior thesis and was hoping someone here might be able to help or at least point me in the right direction.

I have the following PDE system:

dx/dp = - g(s) * dy/ds
dy/dp = g(s) * dx/ds

with initial conditions x(s,0) = x0(s) and y(s,0) = y0(s) and arbitrary g(s).

I can solve it in the case of g(s) = 1, but am not sure how to solve it under any other value of g(s).

Thank You.,
Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
Lucradan said:
Hello Everyone!

I'm a newb to these forums, and I'm having some difficulties with my senior thesis and was hoping someone here might be able to help or at least point me in the right direction.

I have the following PDE system:

dx/dp = - g(s) * dy/ds
dy/dp = g(s) * dx/ds

with initial conditions x(s,0) = x0(s) and y(s,0) = y0(s) and arbitrary g(s).

I can solve it in the case of g(s) = 1, but am not sure how to solve it under any other value of g(s).

Thank You.,

Derive the first equation respect to p, substitute the second in the first and you'll have an homogeneous second order equation for x that you can integrate directly two times.

I thank you for your help. I'm still a little stuck on what to do with this PDE now:

d2x/dp2 + g(s)g'(s)*dx/ds+g(s)^2*d2x/ds2 = 0

with initial condition x(0,s) = x0(s).

I bought a book on PDEs but I've only gotten as far as characteristic curves. (PDE is a graduate course, so I've not taken it yet).

I tried solving the equation in Maple 10, and it gave me the solution was:

x(s,p) = F(s)*H(p)

I can solve for F(s) and H(p), but it doesn't fit with the initial condition of x(0,s) = x0(s).

Again, I'm sorry to bother, I'm having to do the PDEs in my thesis with little experience in the area, so details, even minute, are very helpful.

Plus, if anyone knows of a great PDE guide on line, please post or PM me.

What does g'(s) represent?

g(s) is an arbitrary function just like x0(s) and y0(s).

And the dash - differentitation with respect to s?

The PDE equation system is
equations.GIF
with intial conditions

x(s,0) = x0(s)
y(s,0) = y0(s)

and g(s) is positive function of s, by the way and has domain s>=0

g'(s) is shorthand for dg/ds

Lucradan said:
I thank you for your help. I'm still a little stuck on what to do with this PDE now:

d2x/dp2 + g(s)g'(s)*dx/ds+g(s)^2*d2x/ds2 = 0

with initial condition x(0,s) = x0(s).

I bought a book on PDEs but I've only gotten as far as characteristic curves. (PDE is a graduate course, so I've not taken it yet).

I tried solving the equation in Maple 10, and it gave me the solution was:

x(s,p) = F(s)*H(p)

I can solve for F(s) and H(p), but it doesn't fit with the initial condition of x(0,s) = x0(s).

Pretty standard, separation of variables. Have you been given x0(s)? From what I can find, H(p) = A*p + B (A&B constants). H(0) = B, a constant. Should be able to fit anything, just a matter of making F(s) fit.

edit: I'm not sure how far it's possible to go as long as g(s) is arbitrary. One may be able to set up x and y as derivatives and/or (more likely) integrals of g(s), but I don't know if that's guaranteed to be possible in general.

edit 2: If one guesses d2x/dp2 = a*x (a is some scalar, pos, neg, or complex) then the above equation can be placed in Sturm-Liouville form. Remember that despite appearances this equation is linear in x and y, so any superposition of solutions will also be a solution. Very helpful for the boundaries.

Last edited:

What is a senior thesis?

A senior thesis is a research project or paper that is completed during a student's final year of undergraduate studies. It is typically a requirement for graduation and allows students to demonstrate their mastery of a specific subject or field of study.

Why do students need help with their senior thesis?

Senior theses can be complex and time-consuming projects that require a significant amount of research, writing, and critical thinking skills. Many students may need guidance or assistance in selecting a topic, conducting research, organizing their ideas, and writing their thesis.

What kind of help is available for senior thesis?

There are various resources available for students seeking help with their senior thesis. These may include professors, academic advisors, writing centers, peer tutors, and online writing resources. Some universities also offer courses or workshops specifically designed to help students with their senior thesis.

How can getting help with a senior thesis benefit students?

Getting help with a senior thesis can provide students with valuable support, guidance, and feedback throughout the research and writing process. It can also improve the overall quality of the thesis and help students meet their academic goals. Additionally, seeking help can help reduce stress and improve time management skills.

How should students go about finding help with their senior thesis?

Students can start by consulting with their professors or academic advisors for guidance and recommendations. They can also visit their university's writing center or reach out to peer tutors for assistance. Additionally, students can utilize online resources and attend workshops or courses focused on senior thesis writing.