Help with skidding car problem

• Thread starter l2udolph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving a car skidding on a slippery road. The goal is to determine the average acceleration of the car in m/s2, with the x-axis representing the original motion and the y-axis representing the direction of the skid. The conversation suggests finding the average acceleration and splitting it into its x and y components using standard constant acceleration equations.
l2udolph
Hi, can you please help me by guiding me through how to set this problem up so I know how to solve it? Thanks!

Attempting to stop on a slippery road, a car moving at 72km/h skids at a 30∘ to its initial motion, stopping in 4.1s. Determine the average acceleration in m/s2, in coordinates with the x-axis in the direction of the original motion and the y-axis toward the side to which the car skids.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi l2udolph! :wink:

first find the average acceleration, then split it into the two components

show us what you get …

start with one of the standard constant acceleration equations :smile:

1. How do I prevent my car from skidding?

To prevent your car from skidding, make sure to maintain proper tire pressure and regularly check your tire treads. Avoid sudden turns or braking, especially in wet or icy conditions. Drive at a safe speed for the road conditions and avoid distractions while driving.

2. What should I do if my car starts to skid?

If your car starts to skid, remain calm and take your foot off the accelerator. Do not hit the brakes, as this can make the skid worse. Instead, steer in the direction of the skid and try to regain control of the car. If you have anti-lock brakes, gently apply pressure to the brakes until the car stops skidding.

3. What causes a car to skid?

Cars can skid due to a variety of factors, including wet or icy roads, worn out tires, and driver error. Additionally, speeding, sudden braking or turning, and overcorrecting can also cause a car to skid.

4. How do I know if my tires need to be replaced?

You should regularly check your tire treads for wear. If the tread is less than 2/32 of an inch, it is time to replace your tires. You can also check for signs of uneven wear or bald spots, which can indicate a problem with your tires.

5. Can a skidding car be fixed?

Yes, a skidding car can be fixed by addressing the underlying issue that caused the skid. If your car is skidding frequently, it may be time to replace your tires or make adjustments to your driving habits. Additionally, consider taking a defensive driving course to improve your skills and prevent skidding in the future.