Help with special relativity (frames of reference)

In summary, special relativity involves understanding frames of reference and their limitations, such as not being able to take a frame of reference from something that is accelerating or rotating. Acceleration can be measured with an accelerometer and is not relative like velocity. In a scenario where two spaceships are accelerating towards each other, the one that feels a force is the one that is undergoing proper acceleration, caused by its boosters. Proper acceleration is the point where momentum is being conserved.
thisisdom
Well I've just been learning about special relativity, and I think I understand everything I need to know, except frames of reference (for A level). I need to know where you are allowed to take frames of reference from, and where you are not.

I understand that you can't take a frame of reference from something which is accelerating or rotating. I don't understand how you can define if something is accelerating though.

So for example, say I have 2 spaceships (spaceship 1 and spaceship 2), which are a certain distance apart from each other, and are at rest (relative to each other).

Lets say the person inside spaceship 1 turns his boosters on, and accelerates towards spaceship 2, and when he gets near to spaceship 2, he turns around accelerates backwards, eventually returning to his original position.

Am I right in thinking you would have to take the frame of reference from spaceship 2? since it's not "really" accelerating?

So my questions are:
- Why couldn't I say that spaceship 2 was actually the one that was accelerating, and use the frame of reference from spaceship 1?

- If everything is relative, why would only the person in spaceship 1 feel a force, when technically they are both accelerating away from each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
thisisdom said:
I understand that you can't take a frame of reference from something which is accelerating or rotating. I don't understand how you can define if something is accelerating though.
The one that accelerates feels G-forces, which can be measured with an accelerometer. So, acceleration isn't relative the way velocity is.

JesseM said:
The one that accelerates feels G-forces, which can be measured with an accelerometer. So, acceleration isn't relative the way velocity is.

So why does only one feel a force, when technically they are both accelerating towards each other.

What defines who will feel the force when you have two things accelerating towards each other?

Is it to do with "how" they are accelerating?

thisisdom said:
So why does only one feel a force, when technically they are both accelerating towards each other.

What defines who will feel the force when you have two things accelerating towards each other?

Is it to do with "how" they are accelerating?
The force doesn't just magically appear from nowhere, it has to be supplied by something. In your example in post #1, it is the boosters of spaceship 1 that supply the force.

Terminological note: acceleration of one thing relative to something else is called "relative acceleration" or "coordinate acceleration". The sort of acceleration that is measured by an accelerometer, and that you can feel as a "g-force", is called "proper acceleration". Technically it is acceleration relative to the inertial frame in which you are momentarily at rest.

In your example, each spaceship has acceleration relative to the other, but only one undergoes proper acceleration, caused by boosters.

DrGreg said:
The force doesn't just magically appear from nowhere, it has to be supplied by something. In your example in post #1, it is the boosters of spaceship 1 that supply the force.

Terminological note: acceleration of one thing relative to something else is called "relative acceleration" or "coordinate acceleration". The sort of acceleration that is measured by an accelerometer, and that you can feel as a "g-force", is called "proper acceleration". Technically it is acceleration relative to the inertial frame in which you are momentarily at rest.

In your example, each spaceship has acceleration relative to the other, but only one undergoes proper acceleration, caused by boosters.

Ok thanks a lot for the explanations :) I understand now.

So "proper" accelleration is always at the point where momentum would be bieng conserved. Thinking about it, spaceship 2 would be magically gaining momentum.

thisisdom said:
No, technically only one is accelerating, the one that feels the g-force (he's also the only one whose velocity is changing relative to any inertial frame, the other one has constant velocity in all inertial frames)

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It is based on the principle that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does special relativity affect frames of reference?

Special relativity states that an observer's measurements of time and space will differ depending on their relative motion. This means that different observers may have different perspectives on events, leading to different measurements of time and space.

3. What is the concept of "time dilation" in special relativity?

Time dilation is a consequence of special relativity that states time moves slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. This means that an observer in a moving frame of reference will measure time to be passing slower than an observer in a stationary frame of reference.

4. Can you explain the "twin paradox" in special relativity?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that illustrates the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It involves two twins, one who stays on Earth and one who travels at high speeds in a spaceship. When the traveling twin returns to Earth, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth due to their different perspectives on time.

5. How does special relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special relativity has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe by challenging our traditional understanding of space and time. It has also led to the development of other theories, such as general relativity, and has implications for fields such as cosmology and astrophysics.