Help with statics question please.

• Thread starter scotthands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary: Now, to find the angle opposite the 700 N side, you need to subtract the 51.32 degrees from 90 degrees.That's how I'd do it. There are other ways, too.In summary, the conversation is about a physics question involving vectors and finding the angle between two forces. The person asking for help has tried using trigonometry but has not been successful. Another person suggests using the law of cosines to find the resultant and then subtracting that angle from 90 degrees to find the angle opposite the 700 N side. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for the help.
scotthands
does anyone know how to do this question?
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7416/staticssm6.jpg
i've tried to work it out but i just can't seem to get it.

i've tried the using the usuall trigonometry stuff but i can't seem to appply it to this question.

thanks
scott.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've tried.

i've just tried to see if i could work out the angle using SOH CAH TOA.

i thought i could do: theta= cos(to the minus1) 700/400 but i get a mathmatical error on my calculator, anything else i can think of seems like a dead end.

I'm not really looking for the answer, just some help on how to do the problem.

Last edited:
What you have to do is add those two forces and set the sum equal to 1000 N. Then you can solve for the angle.

There are several ways to add vectors. One way is to add them graphically and use some triangle geometry. (The law of cosines.) Another way is to find their components, add those, then find the resultant. Either way should work.

ok, i don't know why i can't work this out, I've not had any problems with any of the questions before it.

i was going to add them the tail to tail method but that won't work because i don't know the angles.

if you're not busy could you show me how you would do it with different values?
or show me the first step on how to solve it, once i get started on it i'll probably see how to do it.

scotthands said:
i was going to add them the tail to tail method but that won't work because i don't know the angles.
I assume you mean "head to tail" method. This will work just fine. You'll get a triangle for which you can use the law of cosines to find the resultant (which would be one side of that triangle). You don't have to know the angle, since that's what you're trying to find.

This might help: http://instruct.tri-c.edu/fgram/web/lawcos.htm

You can also just add the components and find the resultant that way. The magnitudes of the horizontal and vertical components of the 400 N force would be [itex]{400}\cos\theta[/itex] and [itex]{400}\sin\theta[/itex]

i don't know if it is correct(the answer for this particular question is missing in my book) but i got 18.19 degrees for the angle.

does that sound about right?

i made A the angle for theta and did this:

COSA= (700squared + 1000squared - 400squared)/ (2*700*1000)
COSA= 0.95
A= COS to the minus 1(0.95) = 18.19

thanks for the help.

Last edited:
No, that's not correct. You can check by finding the components of the resultant: You'll find that the horizontal component alone will be greater than 1000 N.

Where did you get that equation?

scotthands said:
D'oh! I didn't recognize it--my bad.

scotthands said:
COSA= (700squared + 1000squared - 400squared)/ (2*700*1000)
You want the angle opposite the 1000 N side, not opposite the 400 N side. But you're on the right track with the law of cosines. Be sure to draw yourself a picture with the sides and angles labeled.

i ended up with the angle=90degrees although i have a feeling it is wrong.

i've been at this one question all day, i think I'm just going to leave it for another time, I'm getting very frustrated.

Just use the same formula, but chose the 1000 N side as the side opposite the angle. You won't get 90 degrees.

ok i think I've got it, i got 128.68 degrees for the angle.

what does it mean by " for this condition, what will be the angle between R and the horizontal P?"

should there be a vertical line going from the 700N arrow to form a 90 degree angle?

Does the R stand for resultant and the P stand for the vertical line going from the arrow of the 700N force?

so i would have the 128.68 degrees i worked out and the 90degrees from the 700N arrow and I've just to work out the other angle?

scotthands said:
ok i think I've got it, i got 128.68 degrees for the angle.
Almost. Did you draw yourself a diagram of the vector addition? It would look like: A horizontal arrow (length = 700 N) pointing left plus a 400 N arrow at some angle (diagonally up and to the left) adding up to the resultant (at some other angle up and to the left) of length 1000 N.

That's the triangle that you are working with. What you found--correctly!--is the angle within that triangle opposite to the 1000 N resultant. Now use that to find the angle that they call theta.

what does it mean by " for this condition, what will be the angle between R and the horizontal P?"
I assume that they want the angle the resultant makes with the horizontal. That's the angle in your triangle that's opposite to the side 700 N. (No idea what "P" means.)

a diagram

Here's a diagram of the situation.

Note that you found the angle labeled [itex]\alpha[/itex], but you need the angle labeled [itex]\theta[/itex].

Attachments

• Vector addition.jpg
    Vector addition.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 416
yeah, ok , i see what I've done now, I'm getting 51.32degrees for the angle theta.

i guess i'll be able to work out the angle across from the 700N now too.

thanks for the help.

scotthands said:
yeah, ok , i see what I've done now, I'm getting 51.32degrees for the angle theta.
Good. That's the angle I think they want.

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in uniform motion. It focuses on the forces acting on an object and how they affect its equilibrium.

2. Why is statics important?

Statics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of structures and machines. It is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to design and analyze structures and ensure their stability and safety.

3. What are the key principles of statics?

The key principles of statics include the laws of equilibrium, which state that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of all forces acting on it must be zero and the sum of all moments must also be zero. Other principles include the concept of center of mass, free body diagrams, and the application of Newton's laws of motion.

4. How do I solve a statics problem?

To solve a statics problem, you need to first identify the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, draw a free body diagram to represent the object and all the forces acting on it. Use the principles of statics to set up and solve equations to find the unknown forces or moments.

5. What are some common applications of statics?

Statics is used in many real-world applications, such as designing bridges, buildings, and other structures to ensure they can withstand the forces acting on them. It is also used in the analysis of machines and mechanisms, such as cranes and elevators, to ensure their stability and efficiency.