Help with Tensors: Using Einstein Summation Convention

In summary, using the Einstein summation convention, it was shown that $$\partial_{\mu}R=\frac{\eta_{\mu\nu} x^{\nu}}{R}$$ by explicitly performing the covariant component of the four-gradient and using the kronecker tensor. The challenge of using the equation expressed in the second paragraph to show $$\eta^{\alpha \beta}\partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}\frac{1}{R^2}=0$$ was approached by differentiating $$1 \equiv \frac 1 {R^2} R^2$$ and showing that $$\partial_{\alpha} R^2 = 2x_{\alpha}$$. However, further
user1139
Homework Statement
Show that the d'Alembertian of the scalar $$1/R^2=0$$
Relevant Equations
I am suppose to use this expression $$\partial_{\mu}R=\frac{\eta_{\mu\nu} x^{\nu}}{R}$$ to help show
Assuming Einstein summation convention, suppose $$R^2=\eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}$$

I was able to show that $$\partial_{\mu}R=\frac{\eta_{\mu\nu} x^{\nu}}{R}$$ by explicitly doing the covariant component of the four-gradient and using the kronecker tensor.

However, how do I use the equation expressed in the second paragraph to show that $$\eta^{\alpha \beta}\partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}\frac{1}{R^2}=0$$? I tried $$R\rightarrow \frac{1}{R^2}$$ but I got expressions containing $$x^{\nu}x_{\alpha}$$ which will not give me 0 unless I assume $$x^{\nu}$$ and $$x_{\alpha}$$ are orthogonal which I think is wrong to do so.

Physics news on Phys.org
One idea is to differentiate ##1 \equiv \frac 1 {R^2} R^2##.

I am not sure if that helps though.

Thomas1 said:
I am not sure if that helps though.
Have you made progress by other means?

Unfortunately, no.

Thomas1 said:
Unfortunately, no.
Try this: $$0 = \partial_{\beta}(\frac{1}{R^2}{R^2}) = \partial_{\beta}(\frac 1 {R^2})R^2 + \frac 1 {R^2} \partial_{\beta}(R^2)$$ $$\partial_{\beta}(\frac 1 {R^2}) = -\frac{1}{R^4}\partial_{\beta}(R^2)$$ Then differeniate the first equation again by ##\partial_{\alpha}##: $$0 = \partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}(\frac{1}{R^2}{R^2}) = \partial_{\alpha} \big [ \partial_{\beta}(\frac 1 {R^2})R^2 + \frac 1 {R^2} \partial_{\beta}(R^2) \big ]$$ And see whether you can make progress.

PS try also to show that $$\partial_{\alpha} R^2 = 2x_{\alpha}$$

1. What is the Einstein summation convention?

The Einstein summation convention, also known as the Einstein notation, is a mathematical notation used in tensor calculus to simplify the representation and manipulation of tensors. It involves summing over repeated indices in a tensor expression, which eliminates the need for explicit summation symbols.

2. How does the Einstein summation convention work?

In the Einstein summation convention, repeated indices in a tensor expression are implicitly summed over. This means that if an index appears as both a subscript and superscript, it is summed over all possible values. For example, in the expression AijBij, the index i is summed over, while the index j is not.

3. What are the benefits of using the Einstein summation convention?

The Einstein summation convention simplifies the notation and calculation of tensor expressions, making them easier to read and understand. It also reduces the number of terms in an expression, which can save time and effort in calculations. Additionally, it allows for the concise representation of complex tensor equations.

4. Are there any limitations to the Einstein summation convention?

While the Einstein summation convention is a useful tool in tensor calculus, it does have some limitations. It can only be used with tensors of the same rank, and it cannot be applied to all tensor operations. It is also important to be careful when using the convention, as it can lead to errors if not used correctly.

5. How can I practice using the Einstein summation convention?

The best way to practice using the Einstein summation convention is to work through examples and exercises in a textbook or online resource. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the rules and properties of the convention, and to practice applying them in different situations. With practice, you will become more comfortable and proficient in using the Einstein summation convention.