Help with the derivative: (x+1)(x-3)^3

• Thread starter meredith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
I find the product rule more "natural."In summary, The derivative of f(x) = (x+1)(x-3)^3 can be found using the product and chain rules. By factoring out (x-3)^2, the derivative simplifies to (x-3)^2(3x+3+1). It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra to be successful in calculus.
meredith

Homework Statement

find f'x
f(x) = (x+1)(x-3)^3

The Attempt at a Solution

i know its the product and chain rules.
(x+1)*3(x-3)^2 + (x-3)^3 *1
but then i get all confused with the numbers.
could someone walk me through this?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you have the derivative! What more do you want? I see no reason to multiply it out because the original problem has it factored. I might suggest factoring out (x-3)2: 3(x+1)(x-3)2+ (x-3)3= (x-3)2(3(x+1)+ x-3)= (x-3)2(3x+ 3+ x- 3)= 4x(x-3)2. Is that better?

Maybe you need a refresher in Algebra?

lubuntu said:
Maybe you need a refresher in Algebra?
I should point out to the original poster that this isn't an insult -- calculus is a subject where you make use of

1. Calculus
2. Arithmetic
3. Algebra
4. Trigonometry
5. (Whatever I forgot to put in this list)

It seems far too common for people to think "I'm having trouble in my calculus class, therefore I need to work on my calculus skills" -- but to the contrary, I assert that the vast majority of difficulties people have in calculus is for reasons completely unrelated to calculus.

Yea I didn't mean it as an insult either sorry if it came off that way, being able to do algebraic manipulation with ease is a key to success in higher maths. So if you are having troubles with that sort of stuff don't let it slide, it will only get worse.

I never know if such comments really do come off that way, but I always worry. :frown: Maybe the opening poster can tell us what his impression was when he read that comment, that way he can educate me. :smile:

An safer approach than the product rule is to expand it completely then look for the derivative. This method is reasonable since the expression you have there isn't too complicated for expansion.

That's debatable. I think I'm less likely to make a typographical error when using the product rule and factoring than I am of expanding that out.

1. What is the derivative of (x+1)(x-3)^3?

The derivative of (x+1)(x-3)^3 is (x-3)^3 + (x+1)(3(x-3)^2).

2. How do you find the derivative of a polynomial expression?

To find the derivative of a polynomial expression, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1), where n is the exponent. You can also use the product rule and chain rule for more complex expressions.

3. Does the order of the factors matter when finding the derivative?

Yes, the order of the factors does matter when finding the derivative. The product rule states that the derivative of a product is the first factor times the derivative of the second factor, plus the second factor times the derivative of the first factor.

4. Can you simplify the derivative of (x+1)(x-3)^3?

Yes, you can simplify the derivative of (x+1)(x-3)^3 to (x-3)^2(4x-5).

5. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function represents its rate of change at any given point. It can be used to find the slope of a tangent line, determine maximum and minimum values, and solve optimization problems.