Thermodynamics Exam Help: Sample Questions and Tips for Success

In summary, when solving for the rate of heat transfer from the plate by natural convection, the equations for convective heat transfer can be used. These equations can be applied for both vertical and horizontal orientations of the plate, with the horizontal orientation facing up having a higher convective heat transfer coefficient and the horizontal orientation facing down having a lower coefficient. Additionally, the use of extended surfaces, such as fins, can increase the rate of heat transfer and improve the efficiency of heat transfer in domestic radiators.
easylu
Hi all, i had to do thermodynamics this year as an optional module its 100%exam and I've been trying really hard to do the exam papers before the exam in 2 weeks. I'm really confused and can't find good textbooks. can anyone help me with these sample exam questions from last year. I've been able to answer part of question 1 and 3..but nt really sure if I am right..pls help. asap.

Q1a: A radiator plate of 0.6-m × 1.0-m is allocated in a room of 20ºC. One side of the
plate is maintained at a temperature of 75ºC, the other side is assumed to be insulated,
as shown in the below figure. If the following assumptions can be made: 1) steady
operating conditions exist; 2) air is an ideal gas; 3) the local atmospheric pressure is
1.00 atm. Determine the rate of heat transfer from the plate by natural convection if the
plate is A) or D) vertical, B) horizontal with hot surface facing up; C) horizontal with hot
surface facing down.

Q1b: If the radiator surface is replaced by an extended rectangular fin surface of fin
efficiency of 0.95 and the total heat transfer surface including the rectangular fins are 2.6
times of the original flat surface given in Q1a), determine
i) The fin effectiveness;
ii) Briefly discuss how useful of applying extended surface to domestic radiators will be

I'm really lost and just need guidelines on how to approach these questions...pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
. A1a: A) or D) vertical: The rate of heat transfer from the plate by natural convection can be calculated using the equations of convective heat transfer. The equation is given by q = h x A x (Tsurf - Tinf), where h is the convective heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area and Tsurf and Tinf are the surface and ambient temperatures respectively. B) Horizontal with hot surface facing up: The rate of heat transfer from the plate by natural convection can be calculated using the equations of convective heat transfer. The equation is given by q = h x A x (Tsurf - Tinf), where h is the convective heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area and Tsurf and Tinf are the surface and ambient temperatures respectively. The convective heat transfer coefficient for this orientation will be higher than the vertical orientation due to the increased exposure of the hot surface to the ambient air.C) Horizontal with hot surface facing down: The rate of heat transfer from the plate by natural convection can be calculated using the equations of convective heat transfer. The equation is given by q = h x A x (Tsurf - Tinf), where h is the convective heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area and Tsurf and Tinf are the surface and ambient temperatures respectively. The convective heat transfer coefficient for this orientation will be lower than the vertical orientation due to the reduced exposure of the hot surface to the ambient air.Q1b: i) The fin effectiveness can be calculated using the equation η = 1 - (Tfin - Tamb)/(Tsurf - Tamb), where Tfin is the temperature of the fin, Tamb is the ambient temperature, and Tsurf is the surface temperature. ii) Applying extended surface to domestic radiators can be useful in increasing the rate of heat transfer from the radiator. The increased surface area increases the rate of convection due to increased exposure to the ambient air and the fins increase the efficiency of the heat transfer by trapping more air around the surface.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that in any closed system, the total entropy (disorder) will always increase or remain the same. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero (0 Kelvin) in a finite number of steps.

How is thermodynamics used in everyday life?

Thermodynamics is used in many aspects of everyday life, such as heating and cooling systems, refrigerators, engines, and cooking. It also plays a role in weather and climate patterns.

What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another because of a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. In thermodynamics, heat is the energy that flows between two objects, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of that heat.

What are some common misconceptions about thermodynamics?

One common misconception is that heat and temperature are the same thing. Another is that energy is destroyed in a process, when in fact it is just being converted into a different form. Some also believe that the second law of thermodynamics contradicts the idea of evolution, but in reality, it only applies to closed systems and does not affect the overall increase in entropy in the universe.