1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help With This Supposedly Easy Integration!

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate: [tex] \exp(\sin(t)) / (1 + t^2) [/tex]

The attempt at a solution
    Ok so I tried substituting u=sin(t) du=cos(t)dt but I end up with (1 + arcsin^2(u)) on the bottom and I don't know how to integrate that.
    I also tried letting t=cos(u) dt=-sin(u)du but then I end up with e^(sin(cos(t)) which I've never seen before!
    If anyone knows how to do this please just give me a hint or the first step to take and I will try to do the rest! Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't think you can integrate that analytically. Is this integral part of a larger problem?

4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    Ok well it was a differential equation problem that I reduced to that but here is the initial problem:

[tex] dy/dt + y\cos(t) = 1/ (1+t^2) [/tex]

so I got an integrating factor of [tex] e^(sint) [/tex] which led to this integral! Hope this helps maybe I did something wrong in first part.

5. Sep 26, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hmm, perhaps you're expected to leave the solution in terms of the integral.

6. Sep 26, 2010 #5
    I don't think so since the prof asked to solve it in terms of t explicitly. Maybe she made a mistake in writing the problem if this cannot be solved analytically.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook