This method may be more intuitive for some people.

In summary, the power transferred to the 1.5V cell during charging is 0.6W. This can be calculated using the equation P=VI, where V is the potential difference between X and Y (1.9V) and I is the current through the resistor (0.44A). Other circuit power equations such as P=I^2R and P=V^2/R are not applicable in this context as the voltage of a chemical cell does not depend on the current. Alternatively, conservation of energy can also be used to calculate the power transferred to the cell.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

upload_2019-2-11_19-20-51.png

Question - Calculate the rate of energy transferred to the 1.5V cell during charging if the potential between X and Y is 1.9V

Homework Equations

P = VI

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I understand how to get the answer. If XY has 1.9V then the resistor will get 0.4V. This will give a current of 0.44A (0.4V/0.6Ω). Using P=VI for the cell, I get 0.44A x 1.5V = 0.6W. However, thinking about it more I have a few questions. I was thinking about why I couldn't use other circuit power equations - P = I2R and P = V2/R but then I realized this would give the power delivered to the internal resistor and not the cell. However, if we work backwards and use P = V2/R for the cell to find R then what does this mean? i.e. we know it has a power of 0.6W and a voltage of 1.5V so R = V2/P = 3.75Ω. Is this right or is it not valid to use it in this context?

Thanks for any help offered.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-11_19-20-51.png
    upload_2019-2-11_19-20-51.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 592
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy87 said:
P = I2R
is for resistors where V = I##\times##R. In a (ideal) chemical cell the power is used for something, well, chemical :smile: and the voltage does not depend on the current. So you have to revert to P = V##\times##I

In your exercise the non-ideal chemical cell is modeled as an ideal cell with an internal series resistance.
To answer your question you could check that with e.g. a 0.1 ##\Omega## you would get a different answer.

Likes Jimmy87
BvU said:
is for resistors where V = I##\times##R. In a (ideal) chemical cell the power is used for something, well, chemical :smile: and the voltage does not depend on the current. So you have to revert to P = V##\times##I

In your exercise the non-ideal chemical cell is modeled as an ideal cell with an internal series resistance.
To answer your question you could check that with e.g. a 0.1 ##\Omega## you would get a different answer.

Thanks. So if I have understood you correctly you're saying that we can't use P = I2R because this equation comes from V = IR where the voltage across something depends on its current whereas for a cell its voltage is fixed regardless of the current through it?

Yep.

Likes Jimmy87
P=I^2R would be the power dissipated in the resistor rather than put into the battery.

One other way to do it would be to apply conservation of energy...

Power into battery = power supplied by the battery charger - power dissipated in resistor
= (1.9*0.44) - (0.4*0.44)
= 1.5*0.44
= 0.6W

1. What are the two main sources of EMF?

The two main sources of EMF, or electromagnetic fields, are natural sources and man-made sources. Natural sources include the Earth's magnetic field, lightning, and the sun's radiation. Man-made sources include power lines, electrical appliances, and wireless devices.

2. How do natural sources of EMF affect our health?

Natural sources of EMF have been present on Earth since the beginning of time and are generally not considered harmful to human health. In fact, the Earth's magnetic field has been shown to have beneficial effects on our bodies.

3. Are man-made sources of EMF harmful?

This is a topic of ongoing research and debate. While some studies have shown potential negative effects of man-made EMF on human health, others have found no significant evidence of harm. To be safe, it is recommended to limit exposure to man-made EMF by keeping a safe distance from sources and limiting use of electronics.

4. What can I do to protect myself from EMF exposure?

To reduce exposure to man-made EMF, you can try to limit your use of electronic devices, keep a safe distance from power lines and other sources, and use protective shielding materials. Additionally, maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help support your body's natural defense mechanisms against potential negative effects of EMF.

5. How can I measure the level of EMF in my environment?

There are various devices available that can measure the level of EMF in your environment, such as EMF meters and gaussmeters. You can also contact a professional or conduct research to determine the potential sources of EMF in your area and their corresponding levels.