Help with Vectors & Friction: Beginner's Guide (French)

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of vectors and friction, with a recommendation for an introductory physics textbook that covers both topics. It also mentions that the concept of vectors can be further explored in differential geometry and provides a book recommendation for this. The use of the normal vector in defining friction is also mentioned, with Wikipedia being a helpful resource for understanding this concept. It is noted that there are two types of friction - static and kinetic - and that the normal force is used to calculate the magnitude and projection of the frictional force.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
So this is a bit embarassing. But I enrolled in community college. I really can't wrap my head around vectors or friction. What books useful eh? I'm French btw

Physics news on Phys.org
I think any standard introductory physics textbook will cover both topics.

Of course, if you really want to know what vectors are, you will have to look in differential geometry where they are defined rigorously through the transformation properties of their components. It is there that you realize vectors are really just rank 1 contra variant tensors. For that, I recommend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486640396/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Good thing you are French too, because this book is written in English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wikipedia has a discussion on the use of the normal vector in defining friction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction

One key point of friction is that it is a measured quantity and there are two variants static and kinetic friction (aka dynamic friction) with static being the higher value as a reluctance of something to slide is higher than when it is sliding.

The normal force is used because frictional force is related to the mass of the object, the acceleration of gravity and the frictional coefficient so the normal force vector provides the magnitude of the force and the projection of it on the inclined plane provides the actual frictional force for the problem.

Related to Help with Vectors & Friction: Beginner's Guide (French)

1. What are vectors and how are they used in physics?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used in physics to represent physical quantities such as forces, velocities, and accelerations. They are typically represented graphically as arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How does friction affect the motion of objects?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects when they come into contact with each other. It can cause objects to slow down or stop moving. The amount of friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact and the force pushing them together. In some cases, friction can also cause objects to move in a different direction than the applied force.

3. How is the direction of frictional force determined?

The direction of frictional force is always opposite to the direction of motion or the intended direction of motion. This means that if an object is moving to the right, the frictional force will act to the left. If an object is at rest, the frictional force will act in the opposite direction to any applied force.

4. How can we calculate the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where Ff is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a constant that depends on the type of surfaces in contact, while the normal force is the force that is perpendicular to the surface of contact.

5. Is there a way to reduce frictional force?

There are a few ways to reduce frictional force. One way is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to reduce the contact between surfaces. Another way is to use materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as smooth surfaces or materials with a slick coating. Additionally, reducing the force pushing the surfaces together can also reduce frictional force.