Helps on Projectile motion and moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation was about a college assignment that required an explanation of the principles of projectile and moment of inertia in rotational motion. The assignment also included a question on the causes and effects of these principles, as well as suggestions to improve, minimize, or avoid problems related to them. The conversation also included a suggestion to read about these principles on Wikipedia.
up2dsky89
Hello guys , i am new here .

I am currently doing my college assignment i am required to explain a few physics principle , but currently i am stuck with these two principle :

i) projectile
ii) moment of inertia in rotational of a rigid body

I am required to answer the question that stated as follow :

EXPLANATION ON THE CAUSES AND EFFECTS FROM THE PRINCIPLES for both principle
SUGGESTIONS TO IMPROVE, MINIMIZE OR AVOID THE PROBLEMS for both principle

Hope that everyone could help me or give me some hints and tips on this question

Homework Statement

EXPLANATION ON THE CAUSES AND EFFECTS FROM THE PRINCIPLES
SUGGESTIONS TO IMPROVE, MINIMIZE OR AVOID THE PROBLEMS

Homework Equations

EXPLANATION ON THE CAUSES AND EFFECTS FROM THE PRINCIPLES
SUGGESTIONS TO IMPROVE, MINIMIZE OR AVOID THE PROBLEMS

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry , i have absolutely no idea on it .

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome

in projectile,
CAUSE: you must consider the forces acting while in an object is in a projectile motion, stating any assumptions.
EFFECTS: This will cause the object to go in a path which has a special name

In moment of inertia
CAUSE: well, I'm not a very advanced physicist. as far as i know, moment inertia is there, exists in every singe matter. nothing causes it. It is the equivalent of mass in translational motion.

EFFECTS: try to think what effect does a mass have (consider the 3 Newton's laws). And the apply it to rotational motion to possibly have the effects of a moment of inertia.

Have a read at least at wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_motion"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_motion"

i leave the 2nd part of the question for you to think about

Last edited by a moderator:
for reaching out for help on these principles. Projectile motion is an important concept in physics that describes the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity. Some causes of projectile motion include the initial velocity and angle at which the object is launched, as well as the acceleration due to gravity. The effects of projectile motion include the curved path of the object, its maximum height and range, and the time it takes to reach its maximum height and return to the ground.

To improve the accuracy of projectile motion calculations, it is important to minimize any external factors that may affect the motion, such as air resistance. One way to avoid this problem is to conduct experiments in a vacuum chamber. Additionally, using more precise measuring tools and techniques can also help improve accuracy.

Moment of inertia in rotational motion is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is affected by the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The greater the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the object's rotational motion. This principle is important in understanding the behavior of objects such as wheels, gears, and flywheels.

To improve the moment of inertia for a given object, one can adjust its mass, shape, or distribution of mass. For example, increasing the mass of a wheel can increase its moment of inertia, making it more resistant to changes in rotational motion. Additionally, using materials with higher density can also increase the moment of inertia. To minimize problems related to moment of inertia, it is important to accurately calculate and consider it in any rotational motion calculations.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola and is influenced by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravity.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, gravity, and air resistance. These factors can affect the distance, height, and time of flight of a projectile.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (V0^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the products of every point in an object multiplied by its distance from the axis of rotation squared.

5. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a given object?

The moment of inertia for a given object can be calculated using the formula I = Σmr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of each point in the object, and r is the distance of each point from the axis of rotation.