Why is the USA opposed to growing industrial hemp despite its numerous benefits?

In summary: USA opposes growing industrial type of hemp because it is seen as a competitor to oil, lumber, and other traditional industries. Hemp is also seen as a less harmful alternative to other drugs like marijuana. However, there is a concern that the THC in hemp could be used to make marijuana.
tumor
Why is USA opposed to growing industrial type of hemp? from what I know hemp fibres are very durable and can be used in all sort of things( paper, linens etc.)
Oil from hemp can replace in some way fossil fuels,hemp is also very cheap to grow, can grow in worst types of soil and does not require fertilizers to grow.
Hemp is simply universal plant.
Not long ago (WW2 ) USA grew large quantities of hemp for almost every imaginable use,but now it seems hemp is enemy # 2 after OBL.
I understand there is connection with marijuana here, but hemp has minuscule amount of THC in it. So what gives? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I love this topic :smile:

2 words for you: corporate profits

hemp is the ideal substance to replace the lumber, cotton and oil industries. also, if you legalize hemp, then the legalization of marijuana is on its way, and the drug companies wouldn't like that dipping into their profits either. my suggestion? buy as much hemp products as possible, get your friends and family to buy. it's little more expensive yes, but with a higher demand, the price will come down and the supply will go up and the acceptance of it with definitely increase.

I live in a state that used to depend on hemp for most of its revenue (Connecticut, 17th & 18th C). There was no substitute for hemp for making rope between the settlement of the colonies and WWI .

It is interesting that the variation of cannabis as used for hemp is very different than that used for the drug. Good hemp makes bad dope. Good dope makes bad hemp. Sort of like turpentine and telephone poles: both are made from larches, but does that make them the same thing? hardly.

I agree with Kerrie: don't smoke it, wear it.
Find it here:
http://realgoods.com

Oops. Well they don't have as much hemp clothes as they used to, but there are some nice hemp toys for the little ones. Um, and a hemp shower curtain. Hey, it's a start.

Last edited:

1. What is the current state of the hemp industry in the USA?

The hemp industry in the USA is currently experiencing significant growth due to the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill, which legalized the production and sale of hemp and its derivatives. This has opened up opportunities for farmers, businesses, and researchers to explore the potential uses and benefits of hemp.

2. What are the main uses of hemp in the USA?

Hemp has a variety of uses in the USA, including as a source of industrial fibers, food and nutritional supplements, and CBD products. It can also be used in the production of biofuels, biodegradable plastics, and construction materials. Research is ongoing to discover new potential uses for hemp.

3. How does the legal status of hemp differ from marijuana in the USA?

Hemp and marijuana are both members of the cannabis plant family, but they have different levels of the psychoactive compound THC. Hemp contains less than 0.3% THC, while marijuana typically has much higher levels. This is why hemp is legal at the federal level, while marijuana is still illegal.

4. What are the challenges facing the hemp industry in the USA?

Despite the legalization of hemp, there are still some challenges facing the industry. These include a lack of infrastructure for processing and manufacturing, confusion around regulations and compliance, and limited access to banking and financial services. There is also ongoing debate and research on the safety and efficacy of certain hemp-derived products.

5. What is the potential economic impact of the hemp industry in the USA?

The hemp industry has the potential to create significant economic growth and job opportunities in the USA. A recent study estimated that the hemp industry could generate over $20 billion in economic impact and create 200,000 new jobs by 2022. This could have a positive ripple effect on related industries, such as agriculture, manufacturing, and retail.