Hermitian operator- Problem

In summary, the equation A|ψ⟩ = ⟨A⟩|ψ⟩ + ΔA|ψ⊥⟩ can be proven using the fact that A is a Hermitian operator and ⟨ψ|ψ⊥⟩ = 0. By writing |ψ⟩ as a superposition of eigenfunctions of A and using the fact that A has a purely discrete spectrum, it can be shown that A|ψ⟩ = ⟨A⟩|ψ⟩ + (ΔA)^2|ψ⊥⟩. By calculating the scalar product ⟨ψ,(A−⟨A⟩)|ψ⟩ and setting it equal to zero, it can be concluded that |
Raz91
Prove the equation

[itex]A\left|\psi\right\rangle = \left\langle A\right\rangle\left|\psi\right\rangle + \Delta A\left|\psi\bot\right\rangle[/itex]

where [itex] A[/itex] is a Hermitian operator and [itex] \left\langle\psi |\psi\bot\right\rangle = 0[/itex]

[itex]\left\langle A\right\rangle[/itex] = The expectation value of A.
[itex]\Delta A[/itex] = The standard deviation of A.

My attempt :

I tried to write [itex]\left|\psi\right\rangle[/itex] as a superposition of the eigenfuncion of the operator [itex] A [/itex] and used the fact that it's a Hermitian operator

[itex]A\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle = \lambda_{n}\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle[/itex] , [itex]\left|\psi\right\rangle = \sum a_{n}\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle[/itex]

so that [itex]A\left|\psi\right\rangle = \sum a_{n}\lambda_{n}\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle[/itex]

and [itex]\left\langle A\right\rangle = \sum |a_{n}|^{2}\lambda_{n} [/itex]

[itex]\Delta A = \sqrt{\left\langle A^{2}\right\rangle - \left\langle A\right\rangle ^{2}}[/itex]

and I wrote [itex]\left|\psi\bot\right\rangle[/itex] as [itex]\left|\psi\bot\right\rangle = \sum b_{n}\left|\phi_{n}\right\rangle[/itex]

[itex]\sum a^{*}_{n}b_{n} = 0[/itex]

I don't know how to go on from here...
any ideas?

thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, using that the s-adj A has a purely discrete spectrum is not ok, it's not assumed in the problem. And I think you left out a square. I get

[tex] A\psi = \langle A \rangle \psi + (\Delta A)^2 \psi_{\perp} [/tex]

under the simplifying assumptions [itex] \psi_{\perp} \in D(A)[/itex] and [itex] \mbox{Ran}(A)\subset D(A) [/itex].

The first step I found to resolution is to calculate:

[tex]\langle \psi,(A-\langle A\rangle ) \psi\rangle [/tex]

What do you get and what do you conclude ?

I didn't miss the squar.. this is the question.
you get wrong units if you put the squar there ...

dextercioby said:
The first step I found to resolution is to calculate:

[tex]\langle \psi,(A-\langle A\rangle ) \psi\rangle [/tex]

What do you get and what do you conclude ?

this yields zero .. i didn't understand how it can help me

thank you

If it yields zero, then the vector in the rhs of the scalar product is perpendicular on psi, so it's psi perp times a non-zero constant.

I don't understand something -
there are lots of functions that can be perpendicular to psi

e.g (euclidean space)- the vector z (cartesian coordinates) , x is prep to z and y is prep to z but also the superposition (x+y) is prep to z.

so by writing psi prep do u mean to the superposition of all the functions that prep to psi or it's enough to choose only one?

Yes, Psi_perp is an arbitrary vector perpendicular to the psi already chosen. You get from ⟨ψ,(A−⟨A⟩)ψ⟩ = 0 that C psi_perp = A psi - <A> psi. All you need to show is that C is related to the standard deviation in square.

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical operator that has a special property called Hermitian symmetry. This means that the operator is equal to its own adjoint, which is the complex conjugate of the operator. In other words, if A is a Hermitian operator, then A† = A, where A† is the adjoint of A.

2. What is the significance of Hermitian operators?

Hermitian operators are important in quantum mechanics because they represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. The eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement of the associated observable. Additionally, Hermitian operators have real eigenvalues, which are necessary for physical observables.

3. How do you determine if an operator is Hermitian?

To determine if an operator is Hermitian, you can use the following criteria: 1) The operator must be square. 2) The operator must be equal to its own adjoint. 3) The eigenvalues of the operator must be real. If all three criteria are met, then the operator is Hermitian.

4. What is the difference between a Hermitian operator and a unitary operator?

A Hermitian operator is equal to its own adjoint, while a unitary operator is equal to the inverse of its adjoint. In other words, a Hermitian operator is self-adjoint, while a unitary operator is invertible. Additionally, Hermitian operators represent physical observables, while unitary operators represent transformations.

5. How are Hermitian operators used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Hermitian operators are used to represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. They are also used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of a measurement. Additionally, the eigenvectors of a Hermitian operator form a complete set, which is used to describe the state of a quantum system.