Show \hat{O}^2 is Hermitian Given \hat{O} is Hermitian

In summary: The integration part looks kinda right to me. Please clarify if I am right. I can follow up to you apply to complex conjugate to OO \Phi, and of course complex conjugate apply to each individual "thing."And since O = O*, therefore you get the second equality.So I assume that you are taught that if O is hermition, then < \Phi lO \Phi > = < \Phi lO \Phi >*?
latentcorpse
If [itex]\hat{O}[/itex] is hermitian, show that [itex]\hat{O}^2[/itex] is hermitian.

we have [itex]<\psi|\hat{O}^2|\psi>^* = <\psi|\hat{O}\hat{O}|\phi>^*=<\phi|\hat{O}^{\dagger} \hat{O}^{\dagger}|\psi>=<\phi|\hat{O}\hat{O}|\psi>=<\phi|\hat{O}^2|\psi>[/itex]
which works (hopefully)!

to do this in integral notation is the following ok:

[itex]\left(\int \psi^* \hat{O} \hat{O} \phi dx \right)^* = \int \left(\hat{O}\hat{O} \phi \right)^* \psi dx = \int \phi^* \hat{O} \hat{O} \psi dx[/itex]
?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does 'hermitean' mean ?

Let [itex] \mathcal{H} [/itex] be a (complex) separable Hilbert space and [itex] \mbox{O} : \mathcal{D}(O) \longleftarrow \mathcal{H} [/itex] a densely defined linear operator. Symmetry/hermiticity of this operator means that

[tex] \forall \varphi, \psi \in \mathcal{D}(O) [/tex]

[tex] \langle O\varphi, \psi\rangle = \langle\varphi, O\psi\rangle [/tex].

What does the hermiticity of the squared operator mean and what extra (restraining) assumptions do you need to make ?

hey. can you explain in simpler terms...

i haven't covered hilbert spaces or densely defined linear operators.

im basically working with the knowledge of definition of hermitian conjugate:
[itex]<\psi|\hat{O}|\phi>^*=<\phi|\hat{O}^{\dagger}|\psi>[/itex] and that [itex]\hat{O}[/itex] is hermitian iff [itex]\hat{O}=\hat{O}^{\dagger}[/itex]

To make his words simplier, it is basically as following:
if a operator A is Hermitean, for all [tex]\Psi[/tex], [tex]\Phi[/tex]
< [tex]\Psi[/tex]l A [tex]\Phi[/tex] > = <A [tex]\Psi[/tex]l [tex]\Phi[/tex] >

Proceed from here. I think this is enough to solve the proof

two questions:
why is your definition of hermitian operator different from mine (i seem to have an extra "line" between my operators and my kets?
also is my attempt at a proof in post 1 wrong?

I don't think that your statement is "wrong." It is more like you are stating it in a different way, and I didn't quite get your notation.
For instance, what is your "dagger" sign mean here? And your * sign meant to be complex conjugate?
I study in the US, and we, at least my school, use totally different notations from yours.

However, the integration part looks kinda right to me. Please clarify if I am right. I can follow up to you apply to complex conjugate to OO [tex]\Phi[/tex], and of course complex conjugate apply to each individual "thing."
And since O = O*, therefore you get the second equality.
So I assume that you are taught that if O is hermition, then < [tex]\Phi[/tex] lO [tex]\Phi[/tex] > = < [tex]\Phi[/tex] lO [tex]\Phi[/tex] >*?
I think this is a valid statement (at least this is consistent to what I was taught). It is just that we are not taught in this particular language.

dagger is hermtian conjugate.

i don't get why you don't have a line on either side of your operator?

I believe it is only a notation difference and if my memory does not fail me... In "Dirac notation" one uses the two lines and as long as one is dealing with hermitian operators we do not need to care if they are acting to the left or right (and hence don't need to specify if they belong to the ket or the bra) which makes the dirac notation convenient.
The notation with the operator in either the ket or bra tells us that it is acting to the left/right, i.e. on the bra or ket.

Hope that can make things a bit clearer.

ok thanks. as for my working in post 1 then, does that proof look ok?

1. What does it mean for a matrix/operator to be Hermitian?

A Hermitian matrix/operator is one that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, the matrix/operator is equal to its own complex conjugate when its rows and columns are interchanged.

2. How can we prove that a given matrix/operator is Hermitian?

To prove that a matrix/operator is Hermitian, we need to show that it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This can be done by taking the complex conjugate of each element in the matrix and then transposing it. If the resulting matrix is equal to the original matrix, then it is Hermitian.

3. What is the significance of a Hermitian matrix/operator?

A Hermitian matrix/operator has several important properties, including being self-adjoint, having real eigenvalues, and having orthogonal eigenvectors. These properties make it useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, particularly in quantum mechanics.

4. Can a matrix/operator be both Hermitian and non-Hermitian?

No, a matrix/operator cannot be both Hermitian and non-Hermitian. It is either one or the other. However, there are some matrices/operators that are Hermitian with respect to one basis but not another, so it is important to specify the basis when discussing Hermiticity.

5. How does the Hermitian property of a matrix/operator affect its eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

The Hermitian property guarantees that the eigenvalues of a matrix/operator will be real numbers. Additionally, the eigenvectors of a Hermitian matrix/operator will be orthogonal to each other, meaning they are perpendicular to each other in vector space.