Hey i thought that this is tricky but who knows

• Thread starter therector24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hey
In summary, the conversation is about solving a question related to finding the coordinates where a circle and parabola touch. The equation for the circle is provided and the discussion focuses on setting up simultaneous equations to find the coordinates. The conversation also includes a mention of the mentor's role in giving warnings and the final solution to the question.
therector24
[SOLVED] hey i thought that this is tricky but who knows

hey guys iam trying to solve this question
and this what i do have
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11650&stc=1&d=1195680084

*i know that the radius is 1
*then the x = 0
*i think this question can be solved in two equations like those which are applied in knowing the center of mass ( in physics )
so guys can you help me in this question

Attachments

• question.JPG
    question.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 774
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to homework help.

What can you show us about the equation for a circle, and how can you relate that to the equation shown for the parabola?

hey why did you move that.,please replace it as its first condition, because first it is not a home work, second the circle equation is
((x^2)-x)+((y^2) - y)= R^2

and why did i take a warning if you don't want to help just ignore, not to give me a warning

You get warnings from posting homework TYPE problems in the wrong section.

It's the mentor's job to give those warning it's not personal. It's like telling a police officier "hey, if you don't approve of *insert illegal activity of preference* just ignore, not to give me a warning."

therector24 said:
hey why did you move that.,please replace it as its first condition, because first it is not a home work, second the circle equation is
((x^2)-x)+((y^2) - y)= R^2

Quasar explained why the thread was moved to Homework Help (thanks).

Now that you have the equation for the circle, since the circle touches the parabola at just two places as shown, how can you set up the simultaneous equations to give you the x,y coordinates where they touch? Remember, because of the symmetry of the situation, you only really have to solve for one of the two touching points in order to get them both...

And the equation of that circle is actually [tex]x^2 + (y- y_1)^2 =1 [/tex] where (0, y_1) is the center.

Last edited:
thanks for interesiting i solved it and the answer is (0 , 1.25). first i solved for the equation of a circle and then i got another equation which is ( the tangent * thenormal=-1)
whith a lot of my friend's help.
thanks again

What does "Hey i thought that this is tricky but who knows" mean?

"Hey i thought that this is tricky but who knows" is a phrase that expresses uncertainty or confusion about a situation. It could also imply that the speaker is unsure of their own knowledge or understanding of something.

Is "Hey i thought that this is tricky but who knows" a common saying?

No, this phrase is not a common saying. It is more likely to be used in a casual or informal conversation between friends or acquaintances.

Is there a deeper meaning behind "Hey i thought that this is tricky but who knows"?

Not necessarily. It could simply be a way for someone to express their confusion or uncertainty about a situation. However, it could also be used sarcastically to imply that the speaker knows more than they are letting on.

Can "Hey i thought that this is tricky but who knows" be interpreted differently by different people?

Yes, depending on the context and tone in which it is used, this phrase could have different meanings for different people. It is always important to consider the context and the speaker's tone when trying to understand the meaning of a phrase.

Is there a scientific explanation for the use of "Hey i thought that this is tricky but who knows"?

No, this phrase is not related to any scientific concept or theory. It is simply a common expression used in everyday language.