Is it possible to have a plus/minus function that has range of roots?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a particle shot from a cannon and the possibility of having a function that encompasses a set range of x-intercepts. The participants discuss the physical laws and factors that can affect the projectile's range, and suggest using parametric functions to achieve the desired outcome.
Zashmar
Okay,
So I have attached a screenshot of my two graphs of a particle shot from a cannon. The blue one has had an air resistance constant of 0.1 applied to it and, as you can see, has 'shrunk'. For the particular question I am investigating a range of answers are plausible ( ie the x-intercepts of the function can vary say [itex]\pm[/itex] 2 units. I have a limited knowledge of parabolas and graphing, so I was thinking maybe some of you guys would be able to tell me if it is possible to have a function that encompasses a set range of x-intercepts and if so, how would i apply this 'method' to a fourth degree polynomial?

I hope you can all see the image I have attached,

Thank you

[/https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68757&stc=1&d=1397801153b]

Attachments

• air resistance.png
    air resistance.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
Zashmar said:
I have a limited knowledge of parabolas and graphing, so I was thinking maybe some of you guys would be able to tell me if it is possible to have a function that encompasses a set range of x-intercepts and if so, how would i apply this 'method' to a fourth degree polynomial?

It's not clear what you mean here.

If you have a fourth-degree polynomial with x-intercepts x1, x2, x3, and x4, then

y = (x-x1)(x-x2)(x-x3)(x-x4)

However, not all fourth degree polynomials will have four x-intercepts. Some will have only two, the other two being complex conjugates, and some will have none, all solutions being complex.

No I don't mean it like that, I mean if I wanted to define a set of polynomials that had x intercepts between say 38 and 42 on the x axis. In the my particular question i am trying to find a set of polynomials that the particle would land on a 4m^2 square trampoline on the 2d plane,

Zashmar said:
No I don't mean it like that, I mean if I wanted to define a set of polynomials that had x intercepts between say 38 and 42 on the x axis. In the my particular question i am trying to find a set of polynomials that the particle would land on a 4m^2 square trampoline on the 2d plane,

Your approach is still obscure.

If you are trying to fire a cannon such that the projectile lands on a certain target, constructing arbitrary polynomials is not the preferred method of solution.

The projectile obeys certain physical laws which describe the path of its flight. The range of a projectile is controlled by two quantities: the angle of elevation above the horizontal and the initial velocity at which the projectile is fired. Various other factors, such as the location of the cannon relative to the target, a difference in elevation, the effect of drag, etc., can also influence the range to certain degrees, if present, and the influence of these other factors may not be represented by simple polynomials.

Zashmar said:
Yes, parametrically. E.g. If we take quadratics through the origin and through points in the range [a, b] then choose y = Ax(t-x) where t is in [a, b]. Is that what you're after?

1. Can a plus/minus function have a range of roots?

Yes, it is possible for a plus/minus function to have a range of roots. In fact, a plus/minus function, also known as a piecewise function, can have multiple roots depending on the different intervals of the function.

2. What does it mean for a function to have a range of roots?

A range of roots for a function means that there are multiple values of the independent variable that result in an output of zero. This can be represented graphically as the points where the function crosses the x-axis.

3. How is a plus/minus function different from a regular function?

A plus/minus function differs from a regular function in that it is defined by different rules or equations for different intervals of the independent variable. This allows for a more complex and multi-faceted representation of the relationship between the independent and dependent variables.

4. What are some common applications of plus/minus functions with a range of roots?

Plus/minus functions with a range of roots are commonly used in physics and engineering to model real-world scenarios with multiple solutions. They are also used in economics and finance to represent different scenarios or outcomes depending on certain variables.

5. How can I graph a plus/minus function with a range of roots?

To graph a plus/minus function with a range of roots, you can plot each interval of the function separately and connect the points to create a piecewise graph. It is also helpful to identify the roots on the graph to better understand the behavior of the function.