A tuning fork measured by a police radar gun

In summary, a police radar gun uses radio waves at 10.5 GHz to measure the speed of an object by analyzing the beats between the emitted and returned waves. The frequency of a tuning fork can be determined using the formula for change in frequency of reflected waves. While the tuning fork may appear to be moving slowly from the perspective of light waves, the reflected radio waves still experience a shift in frequency due to the oscillation of the tuning fork. This shift is equal to the frequency of the tuning fork, which can be interpreted using the formula mentioned. The amplitude of the tuning fork's oscillation is relatively small, but it still causes a phase shift that can be detected by the interference signal.
kostoglotov
A police radar gun emits radio waves at 10.5 GHz, and measures the beats between this frequency and the returned waves to determine the speed of an object.

It registers a tuning fork as "traveling" at 24.6 m/s. What is the frequency of the tuning fork.

I can get the answer, but I don't understand why it's the answer.

I used the formula for change in frequency of reflected waves seen here:

PStzkdj.gif

link: http://i.imgur.com/PStzkdj.gif

It gives the correct answer as per the back of the text, if you plug in all the relevant variables. I kind of just guessed at using that formula, because it's the only one where the available variables fit the information the question gives.

Now I understand, that from the POV of the light waves, the tuning fork is moving very slowly, and that while the tuning fork is swaying in one direction, millions of light waves have the chance to hit and reflect off the fork. So I can understand how the tuning fork being hit by the radio waves can cause a shift in the frequency of the reflected waves.

But why is the shift in the frequency of the reflected radio waves the same as the frequency of the tuning fork?

Physics news on Phys.org
The amplitude of the oscillation of the tuning fork is significantly smaller than 1 wavelength. All you get is a phase shift that oscillates around some unknown central value with the frequency of the tuning fork. The interference signal will probably (depending on where the central phase is) also oscillate with this frequency, which could get interpreted using the formula you posted.

1. How does a police radar gun measure a tuning fork?

A police radar gun measures the frequency of a tuning fork by emitting a radio frequency signal towards the fork. The fork then reflects the signal back to the gun, which calculates the difference in frequency between the emitted and reflected signals. This difference is the frequency of the tuning fork, which is then displayed on the radar gun's screen.

2. Why would a police radar gun be used to measure a tuning fork?

A police radar gun is typically used to measure the speed of moving objects, such as cars. However, it can also be used to measure the frequency of stationary objects, such as a tuning fork. This can be helpful for calibrating the fork or checking its accuracy.

3. What is the purpose of using a tuning fork in conjunction with a police radar gun?

A tuning fork is often used as a reference for measuring frequency because it produces a consistent and precise sound wave. By using a police radar gun to measure the frequency of a tuning fork, scientists can ensure the accuracy of their measurements and experiments.

4. Can a police radar gun accurately measure the frequency of a tuning fork?

Yes, a police radar gun is designed to accurately measure the frequency of any object, including a tuning fork. However, it is important to ensure that the fork is stationary and not vibrating while it is being measured.

5. Are there any limitations to using a police radar gun to measure a tuning fork?

One limitation of using a police radar gun to measure a tuning fork is that it can only measure the frequency of stationary objects. If the fork is vibrating or in motion, the radar gun will not be able to accurately measure its frequency. Additionally, the fork must be within the range of the radar gun's signal in order for it to be measured.