Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HF HV to LF?

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    HF HV to LF???

I wanted to say that I have searched the site and it is very imformative, glad to be apart of it.

That being said I had a question, what means would you use to convert high frequency currents to that of line current(60hz)?? I have searched and searched on google and have not found a answer to what seems like a simple question. Thanks ahead of time and any advice on what is usually used for this purpose.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2
    Re: HF HV to LF???

Why would you want to do that?

What power are we talking about? What HF frequency?

Basically you have to convert to DC and then AC at 60 Hz.. I don't think there is an easy direct way.

There are AC - DC -AC (same frequency but not locked in phase) high power conversion systems in the World like the UK-France Interconnector.

There may be AC(50) - AC(60) conversion systems in the World ,,cross border inport/export of power and in countries like Japan which use both frequencies but I suspect those are also AC-DC(rough)-AC. They use IGBT devices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?