Hi guys, Need some help on something I didn't know I didn't

• Thread starter Rob K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, Rob was not able to factorize the equation x3 + 0x2 - 7x -6=0 using known techniques. He tried replacing the lambdas with X's and working out an eigenvalue problem, but was unable to solve it. Eventually, he found a root using the rational root test and Cardano's method.
Rob K
Hi guys,

Need some help on something I didn't know I didn't know.

How do you factorize this?
3+7λ+6=0

I assumed this?

-λ(λ2-7) + 6 = 0
λ = 6
λ = ±√7

But that's wrong as the answers in the book are -2, -1, and 3.

Can someone give me a little guidance on this, I have only ever done factorization where one of them is already know.

Kind Regards

Rob K

Physics news on Phys.org

First, I would just change the lambdas to X to make the problem look more familiar. To find one of the zeros, graph it if you're allowed, or use the rational root test to find one. Then, divide like normal, ect..

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/rtnlroot.htm

Actually, I am working out an eigenvalue problem hence the Lamdas. I was kind of expecting to find a way to do this algebraically. If there were an x2 or λ2 term in there, I would be able to do it, but the lack of it has stumped me.

I suppose you could solve it like you do for quadratics:

rewriting it to x^3 - 7x -6 = 0

and then looking at the factors of 6: 1, 2, 3, 6

then plug each one into the equation to find a root realizing you must try both +- versions.
From there you have one factor (x +- ??) that you can use to divide
the original polynomial by to get a quadratic that you can solve.

Rob K said:
Actually, I am working out an eigenvalue problem hence the Lamdas. I was kind of expecting to find a way to do this algebraically. If there were an x2 or λ2 term in there, I would be able to do it, but the lack of it has stumped me.

So if I write it as x3 + 0x2 - 7x -6 = 0, you'll be able to solve it?

jedishrfu said:
x^3 - 7x -6 = 0

Makes me think of Cardano's method.

Rob K said:

How is the rational root test and algebraic/synthetic long division not algebraic?

Rob K said:
How do you factorize this?
3+7λ+6=0

I assumed this?

-λ(λ2-7) + 6 = 0
λ = 6
λ = ±√7
No offense meant, but that's not even remotely close. What you're saying here is something like, if a*b = 6, then a = 6 or b = 6.

If two numbers multiply to some other number, there's not much you can say about either of the two numbers, unless the third number happens to be 0.

In other words, writing the equation as
λ(λ2-7) = 6
is pretty much a nonstarter.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
How is the rational root test and algebraic/synthetic long division not algebraic?
This is definitely the way to go.

Apologies, I missed the comment about the rational root test. I don't know it, but now I know what it is called, I can learn it, thank you.

After some reading I didn't realize that this is actually a fairly complex problem to do manually. I assumed as quadratics are easily solved by either factorization or the equation method, that other polynomials are as easy.

Regards

Rob

I suppose you know that a polynomial p(x)=∑aixi of order n can be factorised in terms of the roots x1, x2, ...xn of the equation p(x)=0:
p(x)=an(x-x1)(x-x2)...(x-xn).

Multiplying the factors, the product has the constant term anx1 x2...xn which must be the same as a0, the constant term of the original polynomial. When all coefficients are integer rational roots can exist. They can be obtained in the form (divisor of a0)/(divisor of an)

You can write your polynomial as λ3-7λ -6, so an=1 and a0=-6 The integer divisors of 6 are ±1, ±2, ±3, ±6. Try to find a root among these numbers. What do you get when subbing -1 for λ, for example? If you find one root, x1, divide the polynomial by (x-x1) and you get a quadratics easy to factorise, or try other possible root.

ehild

Borek said:
Makes me think of Cardano's method.

It is certainly effective but I'd rather death ...

ehild

1. What do you mean by "something I didn't know I didn't"?

This phrase is often used to describe a situation where the individual was unaware of their lack of knowledge on a particular topic or subject. It implies that they were not even aware that they did not know about it in the first place.

2. Can you give an example of "something I didn't know I didn't"?

Sure, let's say you are working on a research project and you come across a method that you have never heard of before. You realize that you didn't know about this method, but you also didn't know that you didn't know it existed. This is an example of "something I didn't know I didn't."

3. How common is it to encounter "something I didn't know I didn't"?

Encountering "something I didn't know I didn't" is quite common, especially in the field of science. With new discoveries and advancements happening all the time, it is inevitable that there will be things we didn't know we didn't know.

4. How can I prevent encountering "something I didn't know I didn't" in my research?

While it is impossible to completely prevent encountering "something I didn't know I didn't," you can minimize the chances by staying updated with the latest research and continuously learning about your field of study. It is also helpful to collaborate with other scientists and attend conferences and workshops to expand your knowledge.

5. Is encountering "something I didn't know I didn't" a bad thing?

No, encountering "something I didn't know I didn't" is not a bad thing. In fact, it can be a great opportunity for learning and growth. It shows that there is still so much to discover and understand in the world of science, and it can lead to new and exciting discoveries.