Hi. I'm testing a PMT and I'm surprised by the following. With power

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a photomultiplier (PMT) and the surprising measurement of -126 V with no charge between the output electrode and ground. The expert explains that the PMT converts photons into current through a process of electron multiplication, and the voltage output can vary depending on the gain of the current to voltage converter. The expert also suggests that the room not being completely dark may have affected the voltage measurement.
Ravaner
Hi. I'm testing a PMT and I'm surprised by the following. With power supply (-900v on K) and with no charge between output electrode and ground, I measure -126 V same with scope (Zin = 1 M) or DVM (Zin = 10 M). I must precise that this experiment has be made in a room not completely dark. Can someone explain why such a high voltage ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Ravaner said:
Hi. I'm testing a PMT and I'm surprised by the following. With power supply (-900v on K) and with no charge between output electrode and ground, I measure -126 V same with scope (Zin = 1 M) or DVM (Zin = 10 M). I must precise that this experiment has be made in a room not completely dark. Can someone explain why such a high voltage ?

Well, a photomultiplier, from my understanding, converts photons into current. When a photon strikes the first plate it releases an electron if the photon energy is greater than the work function of the plate. This electron is accelerated by an electric field to the next plate knocking off another electron, so now you have two electrons. These two electrons are accelerated and hit the next plate creating two more electrons. These four electrons hit the next plate and create 4 more electrons, and so on. You get multiplication by using a large number of plates. This generates a fairly large current from a very small number of photons. The photomultiplier is generally used with a current to voltage converter. Depending on the gain of this current to voltage converter your voltage could be very small or very large. You can estimate the number of photons striking the first dynode based on the gain of the current to voltage converter, the output voltage, and the number of dynodes in the PMT.

I have never used a PMT though so I am not sure what voltages these things typically output. -126 volts seems very high. Maybe you're right...maybe the room isn't completely dark.

-Matt Leright

Last edited:

What is a PMT?

A PMT, or photomultiplier tube, is a type of light detector that converts light into an electrical signal.

What is the purpose of testing a PMT?

The purpose of testing a PMT is to ensure that it is functioning properly and accurately detecting and converting light into an electrical signal.

Why are you surprised by the results of your PMT test?

I am surprised by the results of my PMT test because they do not align with my initial expectations or previous test results.

What factors can affect the results of a PMT test?

The results of a PMT test can be affected by various factors such as ambient light, temperature, voltage, and the type of light being detected.

How can you improve the accuracy of a PMT test?

To improve the accuracy of a PMT test, it is important to control for the aforementioned factors and ensure that the PMT is calibrated properly. Regular maintenance and calibration can also help to improve the accuracy of PMT test results.