Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hi In the Diffraction Handbook

1. Dec 26, 2011 #1
    Hi

In the Diffraction Handbook http://gratings.newport.com/library/handbook/chapter6.asp#6.2.4 it says:

A grating used in the Littrow or autocollimating configuration diffracts light of wavelength λ back along the incident light direction (Figure 6-4). In a Littrow monochromator, the spectrum is scanned by rotating the grating; this reorients the grating normal, so the angles of incidence a and diffraction b change (even though a = b for all λ).

I don't understand what they mean by "even though a = b for all λ". Does anybody know, who wants to clarify this for me?

Best,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2
    Re: Monochromator

From what I've read it looks like a=b because the incident light is reflected directly back on itself to the mirror, no matter what wavelength it is. (approximately anyways)
    I get the feeling that the angle of diffraction is the same as the angle of reflection in this case.
    hope this helps

4. Dec 30, 2011 #3
    Re: Monochromator

Thanks for helping.

Best,
    Niles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook