Welcome! I'm a 1st Year BSc Student in Maths

In summary, a new member named qspeechc has joined the forum and introduced themselves as a first year BSc student with a passion for math. They express their excitement for the site and inquire about obtaining an avatar and signature. Other members welcome them and explain the process for obtaining a custom avatar and signature. The new member expresses their gratitude and excitement for being a part of the forum.
qspeechc
:smile: Hi, I'm new here (duh!). I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a first year BSc student hoping to major in maths. Seems like a fantastic site!

Physics news on Phys.org
BTW, how do I get an avy and signature?

Welcome to the forum qspeechc! If you like math, this is the place to be.

To help cover costs of running the site, we have members that contribute financially, and to thank those members, they get custom avatars and signature.

Also, to thank our science advisors and homework helpers they get a choice of avatar and a signature.

Welcome to the PF, qspeechc! It's a great place. It's helpful to read through the PF Guidelines to get oriented, if you haven't already done so:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Good luck in school, and we'll be seeing you around the forums.

[PLAIN]http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/9499/welcome38gk.gif

Welcome to PF :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard, mate. I'm sure that you'll be very happy here.

Thanks guys, I feel welcome already!

Evo said:
Welcome to the forum qspeechc! If you like math, this is the place to be.

To help cover costs of running the site, we have members that contribute financially, and to thank those members, they get custom avatars and signature.

Also, to thank our science advisors and homework helpers they get a choice of avatar and a signature.

I can have an Avitar?

Chi Meson said:
I can have an Avitar?
You should be able to get one of the standard avatars, at least that's what I was told.

What is a BSc degree?

A BSc degree stands for Bachelor of Science degree. It is an undergraduate degree typically completed in 3-4 years and focuses on subjects in the field of science, such as mathematics, biology, chemistry, or physics.

What is the difference between mathematics and applied mathematics?

Mathematics is a broad field that deals with the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes. Applied mathematics, on the other hand, applies mathematical concepts and techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics.

What are some possible career options for a BSc in Mathematics graduate?

A BSc in Mathematics graduate can have a variety of career options, including becoming a mathematician, statistician, actuary, data analyst, teacher, or researcher. They can also work in industries such as finance, technology, or government.

What skills are important for a BSc in Mathematics student?

Some important skills for a BSc in Mathematics student include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical skills, attention to detail, and strong mathematical abilities. They should also have good communication and computer skills.

What can I expect from my first year as a BSc Mathematics student?

In your first year as a BSc Mathematics student, you can expect to take foundational courses in mathematics, such as calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. You will also likely have to take some general education courses and have the opportunity to explore different areas of mathematics.