Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs Boson not real?

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    I've read a couple articles about the recent incident at fermilab last week about them overlooking something. The Dzero team found something they missed. Well in the end it is said that the odds of the "god particle" being real have significantly gone down due to the results of this last fermilab experiment. Im just curious about everyone's opinions on whether the higgs boson theory has been "shot down" so to say. And the actual process in which CERN and accelerators like fermilab are using to find the higgs boson? Like what are they doing that is going to show them if higgs is real or not? However i can understand that this might be too complicated to explain. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2
    Will if I recall correctly then the Higgs Boson is just a particle that explains how mass doesn't dissipate. The basic concept, I thought, was that it proves the existence of theoretical particles such as Glueons (among ridiculous amounts of others). If we assume it's a non existence particle then that means that none of these particles can exist and we still have no quantified explanation of gravity.

CERN's LHC is the most likely to find the Higgs Boson if it exists - although they did find two new elements the other day (one of which irradiates in 16 pico-seconds, or something ridiculous).

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You misunderstood the articles. They claimed a possible detection of something at a certain energy level. There is no one theory that says the higgs should be detectable at 1 energy level. Higher energy accelerators are built so that they can look through many many different energy levels until they can find it. For all we know, if it actually is something, it could be a new particle no one knows about yet. There is nothing saying it has to be the higgs.

5. Jun 16, 2011 #4
    This is not true. In the Standard Model, the Higgs boson is responsible for the mass of other particles through a mechanism called "spontaneous symmetry breaking". It's got nothing to do with mass dissipation or even quantized gravity.

6. Jun 16, 2011 #5
    Sorry for the misinformation, I was under the impression that it proved the existence of other theoretical particles? Thanks :)

7. Jun 16, 2011 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook