Higgs Boson

• Thread starter canopus
  • Start date
canopus

Main Question or Discussion Point

In recent experiment about higgs boson, scientists use niobium. Why did they choose it then? Could the reason be the easiness of picking [or something like that, i don't know the exact word for it (:] electron?

Answers and Replies

canopus said:
In recent experiment about higgs boson, scientists use niobium. Why did they choose it then? Could the reason be the easiness of picking [or something like that, i don't know the exact word for it (:] electron?
What experiments are you referring to ?

What exactly is the role of this niobium ???

Please, try to be more specific...

regards
marlon

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
canopus said:
In recent experiment about higgs boson, scientists use niobium.
Could it be that you're talking about the superconducting cavities of the LHC accelator which are made out of niobium ?

cheers,
Patrick.

Salut Partick ! LHC are not the only one to use niobium cavities ! But then of course, for the Higgs it certainly is LHC, and what else could niobium do here ?!

Mk
canopus said:
What is niobium and what type of properties does it possess?
:confused:

Niobium is a shiny-white, soft, metallic chemical element; its symbol is Nb. The name of the element is derived from the Greek mythological Niobe, the daughter of Tantalus.