High Frequency Signals & BNC Cables: Explained

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of BNC cables for transmitting high frequency signals in various electronic equipment, such as diode controllers and oscilloscopes. There was confusion about the meaning of high frequency signals and how they relate to the voltage in the diode. The conversation also mentioned the shielding capabilities of BNC cables and how they can be used for both high and low frequency transmissions.
cks
Hihi,

I don't understand what is the meaning that BNC cable transfer high frequency signal?

For example, I use BNC cable for the connection between my diode controller to the diode laser. I also use BNC cable to connect my photodiode to the oscilloscope.

I'm not sure what is the meaning of high frequency signal here? Is the signal transmitting has high frequency? but the voltage to my diode is a direct current, so where comes the frequency?? a bit confused.

I know the BNC cable can shield away from picking up radio signal and antennas from somewhere else, but what is high frequency mean here? Can it transmit low frequency?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Coax can be used from DC to its cutoff frequency, although its loss can be significant well before its cutoff frequency.

Twisted pair makes a fine transmission line too, but does not have the self-shielding feature of coax.

I can provide some clarification on the concept of high frequency signals and BNC cables.

Firstly, let's define what high frequency signals are. In simple terms, high frequency signals refer to any signals with a frequency above 20 kHz. This can include radio waves, microwaves, and even visible light.

Now, let's look at how BNC cables come into play. BNC (Bayonet Neill–Concelman) cables are a type of coaxial cable that are commonly used in electronic equipment for transmitting high frequency signals. These cables are designed to have a low impedance and high shielding to minimize signal loss and interference.

In your example, the BNC cable is being used to connect your diode controller to the diode laser and your photodiode to the oscilloscope. In both cases, the signals being transmitted are high frequency signals. The diode controller is sending a high frequency signal to control the diode laser, while the photodiode is receiving a high frequency signal from the oscilloscope.

You may be wondering why high frequency signals are used in these applications. High frequency signals have the advantage of being able to carry more information and travel longer distances without losing their quality. In the case of your diode controller and diode laser, the high frequency signal is necessary to precisely control the laser output. And in the case of the photodiode and oscilloscope, the high frequency signal allows for accurate measurement of the signal being received.

To address your question about the voltage to your diode being a direct current, it is true that the voltage is a direct current. However, the signal being transmitted through the BNC cable is not just the voltage. It also includes variations in the voltage, which is what we refer to as the frequency.

In conclusion, high frequency signals are an important aspect of many electronic applications, and BNC cables are specifically designed to handle these signals efficiently. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept for you.

Related to High Frequency Signals & BNC Cables: Explained

What are high frequency signals and BNC cables?

High frequency signals refer to electronic signals that have a frequency of 1 MHz or higher. BNC (Bayonet Neill-Concelman) cables are a type of coaxial cable commonly used to transmit high frequency signals between electronic devices.

What are the benefits of using BNC cables for high frequency signals?

BNC cables are designed to minimize interference and signal loss, making them ideal for transmitting high frequency signals. They are also durable and easy to connect, making them a popular choice for laboratory and industrial settings.

How do you connect BNC cables for high frequency signals?

BNC cables have a bayonet-style connector that is easy to twist and lock into place, creating a secure connection. They are typically color-coded with yellow connectors for analog signals and blue connectors for digital signals.

What are some common applications of high frequency signals and BNC cables?

High frequency signals and BNC cables are commonly used in a variety of fields, including telecommunications, broadcasting, medical equipment, and scientific research. They are also used in audio and video equipment, such as cameras and microphones.

Are there any limitations to using BNC cables for high frequency signals?

While BNC cables are effective for transmitting high frequency signals, they do have some limitations. They are not suitable for extremely high frequencies or for long-distance transmissions. In these cases, other types of cables, such as fiber optics, may be more appropriate.