High-power electricity through Salt Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of salt water as electrodes and the factors that affect its conductivity and impedance. The participants also mention the possibility of using salt water for creating a high voltage and current pulse. The need for more information and resources on the subject is also mentioned.
Erez_L
Hello all,

How strong a current can I move though water?
Googling I have found only conductivity of salt water, but what is water's impedance?

Can I create 1 ms pulse of 500 volts and 1 A using salt water?

I want to use salt water as electrodes:
two metal electrodes submerged in two different salt water "bags", connected by some type of bio-metrial.

Any1 has information that might suggest it will work or fail?

Thanks alot
Erez

Physics news on Phys.org
Ultrapure water specific resistance is 18 MΩcm, so you can assume it is a perfect insulator. Conductance is due to solved ions only and depends on their concentration.

Hi,

That's way I am talking of salt water. which has about 5 s/m.
But what about inductance and capticence?

and how does the impedance change at high freuqency?

Also, the issue is how FAST does ionic current can work?

Honestly, these things are addressed in any serious electrochemistry textbook. Check for example Electrochemistry by Jiri Koryta, Jiri Dvórák and Vlasta Bohácková.

Related to High-power electricity through Salt Water

1. What is high-power electricity through salt water?

High-power electricity through salt water is a process where electricity is generated by passing an electric current through a solution of salt water.

2. How does high-power electricity through salt water work?

High-power electricity through salt water works by utilizing the electrolysis process. The electric current breaks down the salt water into its constituent ions, allowing for the movement of charged particles and the generation of electricity.

3. What are the benefits of using high-power electricity through salt water?

One of the main benefits of using high-power electricity through salt water is that it is a renewable energy source. Salt water is readily available and does not produce harmful emissions. Additionally, this method of electricity generation can be more cost-effective and efficient compared to traditional methods.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to high-power electricity through salt water?

While high-power electricity through salt water has many benefits, there are also potential drawbacks and limitations. These include the high cost of equipment and infrastructure, the need for specialized knowledge and training, and the potential environmental impact of using large amounts of salt water.

5. How is high-power electricity through salt water being used in practical applications?

Currently, high-power electricity through salt water is being used in small-scale applications such as powering boats and small devices. However, there is ongoing research and development to explore its potential use in larger scale applications, such as providing electricity to coastal communities or desalinating water for human consumption.