1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High school circuit diagram question

1. Dec 27, 2016 #1
    Hi all. I got 3 Ohms in this question (top current = bottom current hence equivalent series resistance of top 2 and bottom 2 resistors must also be equal), but is that really the right answer? There is no option for 3 Ohms so I am beginning to doubt myself.

upload_2016-12-28_12-57-47.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Please use the Homework Help Template the next time you start a schoolwork question thread here. Thank you.

Your answer appears incorrect to me. Can you show the work you did to arrive at it? :smile:

4. Dec 27, 2016 #3
    here is my answer: http://imgur.com/a/LJo5Y

Attached Files:

5. Dec 27, 2016 #4

berkeman

What can you tell us about voltage dividers? It's not about equal currents in the two branches, it's about equal voltage dividers... :smile:

6. Dec 27, 2016 #5
    ok when i equate the Vout of the top and bottom, i get 1.5V. that is the correct answer but it doesnt make sense in my head. why should the bottom resistances be lower than the top? using the water pressure analogy, wouldnt more electrons want to flow from the 2 ohms to the 3 ohms than R ohms to 4 ohms because they encounter less resistance there than the 4 ohms?

edit: what i am also trying to say is, is there another way to do this aside from using the concept of voltage dividers?

edit: hangon i get it now. thanks very much. ive never seen voltage dividers ever in my life before but it is intuitive.

7. Dec 27, 2016 #6

berkeman

Sweet, that's what we're here for. Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted