Should I Drop Classes and Take More Challenging Courses for College Admissions?

In summary, the conversation was about a student's plans for their sophomore year in high school. They are considering taking advanced classes in math, physics, biology, US history, debate, and English. They are also thinking about taking Spanish. The conversation includes advice on whether or not to drop classes and the importance of challenging oneself in high school. The main message is to make the most of the high school experience and take advantage of the freedom to explore and learn.
Fuz
Ok. Tomorrow I will be selecting courses for my sophomore year. I'm pretty nervous about this because I want to go to a very good collage to study math and physics. I'm talking like Princeton or Stanford. Next year I will be taking Pre-Calc and Advanced Biology, both honors classes. I will also be taking either AP or honors US History and Debate II (also honors). As if that was enough, my English teacher suggested that I be in honors English 10 next year. Oh and I will also be taking my first year of Spanish.

Should I drop a class or two? How hard is this schedule?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fuz said:
Should I drop a class or two? How hard is this schedule?
I've had worse and done brilliantly, had easier and done horribly; it's really a matter of what kind of place you'll be in next semester, how the teachers run the courses, and what you can normally handle. Drop if you think it's going to be bad, and stick with it otherwise.

Try it, the worst that could happen is you may need to drop out of one of the honors and get into college prep. If you are motivated at such a young age and doing well you have a bright futur ahead of you. My only advice is becarefull putting too much pressure on yourself. College is arguable the best experience you will have in life so make sure you enjoy the ride where ever you get accepted to.

EG

I took 9 AP classes in high school overall, all fives but two, and all I got into was NYU :smile:

Universities like Princeton and Stanford essentially expect you be taking the most difficult classes in your high school. This, however, is not the reason to take them. The reason to take them is that you will learn so much more, and probably enjoy them much more too.

While you may not realize it at the moment, high school is incredibly easy! It becomes easier when you are taking classes that inspire you intellectually. A big advantage of AP/Advanced/Honors classes is that more of your classmates actually care about what they are learning, and this is a tremendous help in making school interesting instead of soul-sucking.

If you are worrying your grades might suffer from taking advanced classes: don't. It might be a bit more work than you are used to at first, but it is no where near the limit of what you are capable of.

Now, taking advanced classes is only the start of what you should be doing. You should be going above and beyond your school work. Once you are settled in, you should be reading on your own. The trick is to not be doing trivial things. Ask yourself: "A year from now, will I care that I did this?" If the answer is no (such as it would be for watching a TV program, or making a post to a message board :confused:), then it's not worth it.

Most importantly, though, is to make the most of your time in high school. By that, I don't mean drinking with your friends every night. I mean try to trust me when I say that at this point in your life, you have more freedom to explore things than you ever will. Think of your homework assignments and those pesky seven hours of class as a required minumum. Above that, you have so much time to let yourself wander. Use it.

I cannot make a decision for you, but I can provide some information that may help you make an informed decision. First, it is important to note that colleges look for a well-rounded academic profile, so taking challenging courses in a variety of subjects is beneficial. Admissions officers also consider the rigor of your course load, so taking honors or AP courses can demonstrate your academic abilities and dedication.

However, it is important to also consider your own abilities and limitations. Taking too many challenging courses can lead to burnout and negatively impact your grades. It is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and maintaining a manageable workload.

I would suggest speaking with your guidance counselor or academic advisor for guidance on selecting the right courses for your academic goals. They can provide insight into the difficulty of each course and help you create a balanced schedule.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your own academic strengths and interests. If you feel confident and motivated to take on a challenging course load, then go for it. But if you feel overwhelmed or are struggling to keep up with your current classes, it may be better to drop a class or two and focus on excelling in the remaining courses. Remember, it is important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being in addition to your academic goals.

Related to Should I Drop Classes and Take More Challenging Courses for College Admissions?

1. What courses should I take in high school to prepare for a career in science?

There are several courses that can help prepare you for a career in science, including biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. These subjects will provide a strong foundation for understanding scientific concepts and conducting experiments. It is also beneficial to take advanced placement (AP) or honors level courses in these subjects if they are available.

2. Do colleges look at the specific courses I take in high school?

Yes, colleges do consider the types of courses you take in high school when evaluating your application. They are looking for students who challenge themselves with rigorous coursework and demonstrate a strong interest in their intended field of study. Taking advanced science courses can also help you stand out in the college admissions process.

3. Can I switch to a different science course mid-year if I'm struggling?

It is generally not recommended to switch courses mid-year unless there are extenuating circumstances. Science courses build upon previous concepts, so switching to a different course may put you at a disadvantage. It is best to seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling in a science course.

4. Is it important to take electives in addition to required science courses?

Yes, taking elective courses in high school can provide you with a well-rounded education and help you discover other interests and talents. For students interested in a career in science, electives such as computer science, environmental science, or health science can provide valuable knowledge and skills.

5. How can I decide which science courses to take if I'm interested in multiple fields?

If you are interested in multiple fields of science, it can be helpful to talk to your school counselor or science teachers for guidance. They can provide insight on which courses will be most beneficial for your future goals and help you create a schedule that allows you to explore different areas of science.