What courses should I take in high school to get into top colleges?

In summary, the speaker is a high school freshman who needs to choose their classes for 10th grade. They have fulfilled their art credit requirement through band, but are now considering dropping band to take a variety of classes in order to improve their chances of getting into a top college for a physics major. They are seeking advice on whether colleges prefer students who have focused on one art or those who have taken a variety of classes.
Tyler133
I'm a freshman in high school and I have to choose my classes for 10th grade very soon but I'm in somewhat of a predicament. I need to have one Art credit to graduate from high school and I have been in band since 5th grade so naturally I continued to do band into 9th grade. However, now that I have all of my art credits fulfilled should I continue to do band through my senior year or drop band for the rest of high school and use the time band took up to enroll in a number of different classes. I would like to go to an Ivy League school, MIT, Caltech, etc. and major in physics so I was wondering what do colleges look for when going through the application process: someone who has done more arts or someone who has done a number of different, random classes. Any input would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would ask your guidance counselor.

1. What are the most important high school courses to take?

The most important high school courses to take are those that align with your career goals and interests. It is also important to take core courses in English, math, science, and social studies to prepare for college.

2. How many years of each subject should I take in high school?

Most high schools require at least four years of English, three years of math, three years of science, and three years of social studies. It is also recommended to take at least two years of a foreign language.

3. Can I take college-level courses in high school?

Many high schools offer Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses that are considered college-level. These courses can give you a head start on college credits and are highly recommended for students planning to attend a four-year university.

4. How do I know which courses to take for a specific career?

Research the educational requirements for your desired career and speak with a guidance counselor or career advisor at your high school. They can provide guidance on the courses that will best prepare you for your chosen career path.

5. Can I change my high school course choices?

In most cases, you can make changes to your course choices during the first few weeks of the school year. However, it is important to speak with your guidance counselor before making any changes to ensure you are on track to meet graduation requirements.