1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High school project - water bottle rocket

1. Aug 15, 2007 #1
    Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

I'm a highschooler, currently involved with a project regarding water-bottle rockets. My goal is to measure the force output of various water-air ratios of a water-rocket through force-sensors, and from that determine the maximum height reached by the rocket and I come here because I am in a bit of a predicament and would like to brainstorm with you to overcome my own insufficiencies.

Initially I thought of using F = ma (or, in this case, a = F/m), but the problems started after that and I got strange numbers.

In any case, what I ask of you is to aid me in finding a working equation for determining the (theoretical) maximum height reached by the water-bottle rocket, I'll include air resistance later on, but first I'd rather have this part sorted out (with gravity included).

The Force sensors recorded the force output of the water-rockets during a timespan of roughly 0.25 seconds, and I have a graph of fluctuating force (fluctuations are probably due to the equipment used), a peak at the beginning and gradual decline, which is to be expected. I kept the pressure constant at 2.5 bar.

I can't provide you with any specific numbers (at least not at this time), and my goal is to find something that can provide me with a distance(time) graph of the water-rocket, I'm at a loss as to how to approach this.

Thank you for your time.

[also, additional question, is the 'specific impulse' the impulse of the force graph divided by weight (mass*gravity)?]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2007 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

have you learned how to take derivatives yet?

If you're using F = ma, and the rocket is spitting out water, then you have to consider that m is changing too. I'll throws some equations out there

F = dp/dt <--- this is impulse

p = mv <---- impulse is the time-derivative of this, momentum

dp/dt = v*dm/dt + m*dv/dt <--- here's what happens when you take the derivative of momentum

so F = v*dm/dt + ma

where v is velocity, m is mass, a is acceleration, and t is time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook