High school project - water bottle rocket

In summary, the speaker, a high school student working on a project involving measuring the force output and maximum height of water-bottle rockets, seeks help in finding an equation to determine the theoretical maximum height of the rocket. They mention using F = ma and recording force output with a constant pressure of 2.5 bar. They also ask about the specific impulse and whether it is the impulse of the force graph divided by weight. Finally, they mention the possibility of using derivatives to solve the problem.
black fury
Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

I'm a high schooler, currently involved with a project regarding water-bottle rockets. My goal is to measure the force output of various water-air ratios of a water-rocket through force-sensors, and from that determine the maximum height reached by the rocket and I come here because I am in a bit of a predicament and would like to brainstorm with you to overcome my own insufficiencies.

Initially I thought of using F = ma (or, in this case, a = F/m), but the problems started after that and I got strange numbers.

In any case, what I ask of you is to aid me in finding a working equation for determining the (theoretical) maximum height reached by the water-bottle rocket, I'll include air resistance later on, but first I'd rather have this part sorted out (with gravity included).

The Force sensors recorded the force output of the water-rockets during a timespan of roughly 0.25 seconds, and I have a graph of fluctuating force (fluctuations are probably due to the equipment used), a peak at the beginning and gradual decline, which is to be expected. I kept the pressure constant at 2.5 bar.

I can't provide you with any specific numbers (at least not at this time), and my goal is to find something that can provide me with a distance(time) graph of the water-rocket, I'm at a loss as to how to approach this.

Thank you for your time.

[also, additional question, is the 'specific impulse' the impulse of the force graph divided by weight (mass*gravity)?]

Physics news on Phys.org
have you learned how to take derivatives yet?

If you're using F = ma, and the rocket is spitting out water, then you have to consider that m is changing too. I'll throws some equations out there

F = dp/dt <--- this is impulse

p = mv <---- impulse is the time-derivative of this, momentum

dp/dt = v*dm/dt + m*dv/dt <--- here's what happens when you take the derivative of momentum

so F = v*dm/dt + ma

where v is velocity, m is mass, a is acceleration, and t is time.

Hello there,

It's great to see that you are conducting a project on water bottle rockets. This is a very interesting and fun way to learn about physics and forces.

To determine the maximum height reached by the water bottle rocket, you can use the following equation:

h = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/2g

Where:
h = maximum height
v = initial velocity of the rocket
θ = launch angle
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)

To calculate the initial velocity, you can use the following equation:

v = √(2 * P * V)/m

Where:
P = pressure (in bar)
V = volume of water in the rocket
m = mass of the rocket (including water)

To get more accurate results, you can also take into account the air resistance by using the following equation:

F = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A

Where:
F = air resistance force
ρ = air density
v = velocity of the rocket
Cd = drag coefficient
A = cross-sectional area of the rocket

I would recommend conducting multiple trials with different water-air ratios and measuring the initial velocity and launch angle for each trial. This will help you get a better understanding of how these variables affect the maximum height reached by the rocket.

As for your additional question, specific impulse is defined as the thrust produced by a rocket engine per unit of propellant consumed. It is typically measured in seconds and is calculated by dividing the thrust by the propellant flow rate.

I hope this helps you with your project. Good luck!

1. What materials do I need for a water bottle rocket project?

The materials needed for a water bottle rocket project include:- A plastic water bottle- Cardboard or foam board- Duct tape- Scissors- A bicycle pump- Water- Optional: fins, nose cone, and launch pad

2. How do I make a water bottle rocket launch pad?

To make a launch pad for your water bottle rocket, you will need:- A piece of plywood or sturdy cardboard- A long PVC pipe- Nails or screws- A drill- Optional: a stake or stand to hold the launch pad in placeTo make the launch pad:1. Drill a hole in the center of the plywood or cardboard.2. Attach the PVC pipe to the plywood or cardboard using nails or screws.3. Secure the launch pad in the ground using a stake or stand (optional).

3. How do I launch a water bottle rocket?

To launch a water bottle rocket:1. Fill the bottle about 1/3 to 1/2 full with water.2. Attach the bottle to the launch pad using duct tape.3. Pump air into the bottle using a bicycle pump until the pressure builds up.4. Quickly release the bottle from the launch pad and watch it launch into the air!

4. How high can a water bottle rocket fly?

The height a water bottle rocket can reach depends on various factors, such as the amount of water and air pressure used, the design of the rocket, and external factors like wind. On average, a water bottle rocket can reach heights of 100-200 feet.

5. How can I improve the performance of my water bottle rocket?

To improve the performance of your water bottle rocket, you can:- Experiment with different amounts of water and air pressure.- Make sure the bottle is sealed tightly and the launch pad is stable.- Add fins and a nose cone to the rocket for better aerodynamics.- Launch the rocket on a calm day with minimal wind.- Analyze the results and make adjustments to your design for future launches.