High School Student Looking For College Help

In summary, the sophomore is interested in taking physics in college and is looking for a college that has a good physics program. He likes Chicago, but is unsure if he has the GPA required to get into the school. He recommends joining Science Olymipid, getting involved in physics and science-related groups, and taking AP classes if possible.
striker1649
Hi I am a sophmore and I am taking physics. Its soming i have always want to do. I am thinking about taking it in college as a major. I am looking for a college in a big city that would be good for physics. I Have a 3.5 but play many sports and am involved in many extra things in and out of school some help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of big city? Do you want the campus to be actually "in" the city, such as downtown, or do you mean within city limits, but not actually within the innercity? What region of the world would you like to be in? What about physics interests you? Do you want engineering to be a backup?

Once I have answer to just a few of those, I might be able to point you in a direction.

In the city. And anywere in the U.S. I don't really know what type of physics i would like to go into. I was looking at NYIT but i wasnt sure if it was a good school for physics.

Last edited:
Study energy? :rofl:

You're a long way from tasting physics. Don't even begin to worry about college right now.

How big is big? Would, say, Madison, Wisconsin (U of Wisconsin) or Austin, Texas (U of Texas) be too small?

I grew up in a town of about 50,000. Cleveland, Ohio was "the big city" for me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the University of Chicago has a good physics program, and it's in Chicago so there's a big city for you.

Chicago would be good but what Gpa do you need to get into that college. What do you guys think of NYIT

striker1649 said:
Chicago would be good but what Gpa do you need to get into that college. What do you guys think of NYIT

Chicago's a peculiar place in terms of admissions, I mean GPA plays a role so a good GPA is helpful, but not having an absolutely perfect GPA won't really hurt you, they put a lot of emphasis on their admissions essays and I don't think Chicago students really follow any very specific mold in terms of admissions criteria, but if you think that the University of Chicago is someplace you might like to go the best advice I can give is just to put your best efforts into your school work, but don't do things just to put them on a college application do things that you want to do and you like to do.

Thanks. Is there any extra things i can do for physics or science that would help me get admited into colleges easier.

My opinion on your latest question, Striker, is find as many groups relating to physics and science in general.

If you can join Science Olymipid, if it is in your school. It is a great competative program for aspiring physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering students.

If your high school only offers 1 or 2 levels of physics, asking your teachers about making a new, independent study class of a higher looks good.

Don't focus in too much on physics or math, from what I have experanced with admissions when I was applying to Ivy league level schools, is they wanted to see fairly well rounded and balenced person. With that in mind, pick up some hobbies, that relate to physics and maybe fun, but to someone in admissions may appear to be something "in addition" to physics.

If you get the oppertunity to take advanced placement, do it. Just taking and passing the class with a strong grade will tell admissions that you are "challenging" yourself. Do note, however, AP classes will not teach you much, aside from passing the test, unless you take advange of all of the resources that the courses make open to you: so read and re-read your book, talk to your teacher about any subjects that you thought were really interesting and see if he/she knows anyone at a local college you could email your questions to (normally do this after the AP test, as most teachers are very much just trying to prep you for that, and then let you coast through the rest of the course with quite abit of slack).

If you have a local college nearby that has a program that let's you attend a course or two for free (or with minimal charge), do it. Getting into the college environment and seeing how things work is a great way to show admissions that you are ready for their school.

That would be my advice, and hey I got into every school I applied to.

Thanks i really appreciate the help

1. What resources are available for high school students looking for college help?

There are many resources available for high school students looking for college help, such as college fairs, college websites, college counselors, and online college search engines. These resources can help students explore different colleges and universities, learn about admissions requirements and deadlines, and gather information about financial aid and scholarships.

2. How can I prepare for the college application process?

To prepare for the college application process, it is important to start early and stay organized. Make a list of the colleges you are interested in and their application requirements, including deadlines and required materials. Take challenging courses in high school and maintain a strong GPA. Prepare for and take standardized tests, such as the SAT or ACT. And don't forget to ask for letters of recommendation from teachers or mentors.

3. What should I look for in a college?

There are many factors to consider when looking for the right college, including academic programs, campus size and location, campus culture and diversity, extracurricular activities, and cost. It is important to research and visit different colleges to get a sense of what they have to offer and if they are a good fit for your interests and goals.

4. How can I make my college application stand out?

To make your college application stand out, it is important to showcase your unique strengths, experiences, and interests. This can include participating in extracurricular activities, volunteering, taking on leadership roles, and pursuing internships or part-time jobs. It is also important to write a strong personal statement or essay that highlights your passions and goals.

5. What are some ways to pay for college?

There are various ways to pay for college, including scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs. It is important to research and apply for scholarships and grants, which do not need to be repaid. If taking out loans, make sure to compare interest rates and repayment options. And consider working part-time or during breaks to help cover expenses.