What are the latest developments in high tech toilets?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Marshall recounts an experience with a seemingly haunted bathroom where the toilet lid and seat lifted automatically as he approached. He shares his fear of using the toilet and wonders about the functionality behind the technology. The article discusses a new portable potty being tested by MSN UK, which could be useful for those addicted to surfing on PF.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"When I approached the toilet, the lid lifted automatically," said Marshall. "Then, as I stood in front of it, the seat also lifted. All I could think was, whoa … haunted bathroom! I just could not urinate for fear of what might happen next.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,59979,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I usually like classical stuffs better but in this issue my inner guardian angel is recommending me to try them.

These would be cool for all of us who are addicted to PF now huh?

1. What exactly is a "high tech" toilet?

A high tech toilet is a toilet that incorporates advanced technology and features, such as automated flushing, self-cleaning functionality, and built-in bidet or air dryer. These toilets often also include features like heated seats, deodorizers, and customizable settings for water pressure and temperature.

2. How do high tech toilets work?

High tech toilets use a combination of sensors, motors, and water pressure to perform their various functions. For example, sensors detect when the toilet is in use and trigger the flushing mechanism, while motors control the movement of the bidet wand or air dryer. Water pressure is also used to power the bidet and provide a comfortable cleansing experience.

3. Are high tech toilets environmentally friendly?

Yes, many high tech toilets are designed to be more environmentally friendly than traditional toilets. They often use less water per flush, and some models even have built-in water-saving features. Additionally, the self-cleaning functionality of these toilets can help reduce the use of harsh cleaning chemicals, making them more eco-friendly.

4. Do high tech toilets require special installation?

In most cases, high tech toilets can be installed just like any other toilet. However, some models may require a nearby electrical outlet for powering their features, so it's important to check the specifications before purchasing. It's also recommended to hire a professional plumber for installation to ensure proper functioning.

5. Are high tech toilets worth the investment?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and individual needs. High tech toilets can be more expensive than traditional toilets, but they offer added features and convenience. If you have a household with multiple users or have specific hygiene needs, a high tech toilet may be worth the investment. It's also important to consider the potential cost savings from water and energy efficiency in the long run.