How Can a Flame Burn in a Closed Space Without a Fan?

In summary, the problem is trying to get the flame to burn reliably in a closed space without a fan. The solution is to round the corners of the tube, use a vertical flue, and have a slightly trumpet shaped opening at the top of the flue to improve flow.
rice421
Hi Everyone, Hope this is the right section of the forum.

I need some help to design a small tube heater for a specific application. I have attached a crude picture to show what i need. The flame needs to travel through a 3/4 inch pipe about 7 feet to heat the water. The problem is that i don't want to use any power so i can't use a blower or fan. I hope to use the venturi effect or some other way to get the flame to suck in enough air to burn hot and reliably with no power. Not sure how I am going to ignite it yet but that should be the easy part.

Any ideas on how to get this flame to burn in a closed space with no fan??
Thanks in advance for your help

Attachments

• hot pipe.jpg
    hot pipe.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 535
Science news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Baluncore, Thank you for the reply. The 90's are rounded, the drawing is crude. good idea about the flue, i will make it vertical and as high as possible.

The flame does not need to be the entire length of the pipe, But the idea is to heat the water in a matter of seconds so wasting some propane is no problem if it decreases the time needed. The reason for the tube and not a coil or some other design is because of the application. the tube will just barely fit in there.

The problem i am looking for help to solve is getting the propane to burn good in the long tube with no fan. If the tube was say 2 feet, there would be no problem. I will look into the heat exchanger you mentioned tonight. i figured there must be some kind of fancy venturi setup that would miraculously draw a ridiculous amount of air, or some other phenomena...

The Bernoulli effect of the gas jet will draw air into the tube. Getting the air to fuel mix right is probably best done by using the burner from an existing commercial product that uses the same fuel source.

A slight trumpet shaped opening at the top of the flue will also improve flow.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your mini tube heater design. It sounds like you have a unique challenge in trying to heat water without using any power. One potential solution could be to use a thermoacoustic engine, which uses sound waves to generate heat. This technology has been used in some small-scale heating applications and may be worth exploring for your design.

Another option could be to use a catalytic combustion process, which involves using a catalyst to facilitate the reaction between the fuel and air without the need for a fan or blower. This could potentially work well in a closed space, but it may require some experimentation and fine-tuning to achieve the desired temperature and reliability.

In terms of ignition, you may want to consider using a piezoelectric igniter, which can create a spark without the need for electricity. Additionally, you could explore using a chemical reaction, such as a thermite reaction, to generate heat and ignite the fuel.

Overall, I would recommend conducting further research and experimentation to find the best solution for your specific application. I hope these ideas are helpful and wish you the best of luck in your design process.

What is a high temp mini tube heater?

A high temp mini tube heater is a small, portable device that is designed to provide heat in a specific area. It is typically used in industrial or laboratory settings where high temperatures are required for testing or experiments.

How does a high temp mini tube heater work?

A high temp mini tube heater uses a heating element, usually made of ceramic or metal, to generate heat. The heating element is powered by electricity and can reach temperatures of up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. The heat is then directed through a small tube, allowing for precise and controlled heating.

What are the benefits of using a high temp mini tube heater?

Some of the benefits of using a high temp mini tube heater include its compact size, portability, and ability to provide high temperatures in a specific area. It is also energy efficient and can be easily adjusted for different temperature settings.

What safety precautions should be taken when using a high temp mini tube heater?

When using a high temp mini tube heater, it is important to follow all safety precautions provided by the manufacturer. This may include wearing protective gear, keeping the heater away from flammable materials, and ensuring proper ventilation. It is also important to turn off the heater when not in use and to read the instruction manual carefully.

Can a high temp mini tube heater be used for heating liquids?

A high temp mini tube heater can be used to heat liquids, but it is important to check the manufacturer's specifications to ensure that it is suitable for this purpose. Some mini tube heaters may not be designed to withstand exposure to liquids, so it is important to use caution and follow all safety guidelines when using the heater for this purpose.