Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Temperaure Plasma's behavior with other solids and liquids a Room Temp

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    Recently, I came across some who suggested that a plasma between half the temperature of the sun (2889 K) and the temperature of the sun (5,778) would have the same burn patterns as lava.

I felt skeptical about this for two reasons
    1. Lava's viscosity affects how it behaves. I did not think not sure that the viscosity of plasma would have the similar affect on plasma as the viscosity of lava has on lava
    2. The artificial plasma from a carbon arc lamp creates a kind of dust or soot that reasearch separate out to find graphine. Furthermore, plasma's range from almost but not quite 0 K to 10^8 K in magnitude.
    However, I really wasn't sure what plasma would do in general if it was between 2889 K and 5778 K.... so....

What exactly would a plasma between 2889 K and 5778 do to a solid inorganic sustances like a rod of carbon or steel. What about to gelatinous compounds like Agar and Gelatin? What about to liquids like Midieval Glass, oil, and water?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

A lot depends on the density of the plasma, and the temperature and density together determine the energy that would be conducted into a solid.

Plasma ions can knock out (ablate) the atoms of a solid. See - Plasma etching.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_etching

At some density of plasma, sufficient energy flows (is conducted into) a solid such that the solid may turn to liquid.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    Hmm... I see... well this gives me something to look up at the library, so thanks ^_^.

Anything else you might know would be helpful ^_^.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook