Understanding Spin States in Hilbert Space

It is the case that the spin up and spin down measurements are the same in any direction, so you can think of them as being the same but with the opposite sign of the z value.In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of spin states in quantum mechanics and the use of kets as a basis for a 2-D Hilbert space. There was confusion about how a spin in the x-direction could be constructed from kets in the z-direction, but it was explained that the kets represent states in a complex Hilbert space, not in 3D physical space. The conversation also touched on the mathematics behind Hilbert spaces and the suggestion of a book that goes into more detail on the subject. The importance of
member 545369
Hello

In our Quantum Mechanics lecture we have been discussing a simplified model of the Stern-Gerlach experiment. Let ##|+>## and ##|->## denote an electron that is "spin up" and "spin down" (with respect to ##\hat{z}##), respectively. Our professor then asserted that ##|+>## and ##|->## acted as a basis for a 2-D Hilbert space. It follows that a spin in ##\hat{x}## could then be constructed in the following way: $$|+_x > = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( |+> + |->)$$ however, this confuses me. How can we possible construct a ket pointing in ##\hat{x}## out of kets pointing in ##\hat{z}##??

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it is confusing. You have no experience with quantum mechanics because these things are not apparent at macroscopic scales. One way to say it is that, since the dimension of the Hilbert space is 2, any pair of kets which are linearly independent can act as a basis. So there has to be a way to express |+x> in terms of |+z> and |-z> since |+z> and |-z> span the whole space. This means that a particle that is in |+z> has some probability (it turns out to be 50%) of being in |+x> and some probability of being in |-x> (again 50%). I would recommend (as I often do) the Feynman lectures on Physics, Vol3 Ch 6, which explains this in some detail in a way which is fairly easy to understand.

Thanks for the reply. So I guess my question now becomes: is there any form of mathematical justification for claiming that ##|+>## and ##|->## are linearly independent? Why isn't it the case that ##|+> = (-1)|->##, just like how ##\hat{z} = (-1) \hat{-z}##?

talrefae said:
Thanks for the reply. So I guess my question now becomes: is there any form of mathematical justification for claiming that ##|+>## and ##|->## are linearly independent? Why isn't it the case that ##|+> = (-1)|->##, just like how ##\hat{z} = (-1) \hat{-z}##?

These are spin states, not spin in a 3D direction. That's an important thing to start to understand. States exist in a complex Hilbert space, not in 3D real vector space space.

The Hilbert space of electron spin is only 2D, but that has no direct relationship to 2D or 3D physical space.

PeroK said:
States exist in a complex Hilbert space, not in 3D real vector space space.

That's so weird! I am very curious as to how a Hilbert Space describes states as "vectors". Unfortunately my Quantum book (McIntyre) is not delving much into the mathematics behind Quantum Mechanics…

Can anyone suggest a good text that isn't afraid to get into the mathematics behind Hilbert Spaces? (relative background: I've taken Analysis, complex variables, ODEs, PDEs, … etc)

talrefae said:
That's so weird! I am very curious as to how a Hilbert Space describes states as "vectors". Unfortunately my Quantum book (McIntyre) is not delving much into the mathematics behind Quantum Mechanics…

Can anyone suggest a good text that isn't afraid to get into the mathematics behind Hilbert Spaces? (relative background: I've taken Analysis, complex variables, ODEs, PDEs, … etc)

Well, the mathematics of spin-1/2 particles is about as simple as it gets: states are 2D complex vectors and operators are 2x2 complex matrices. The important point is that the state (vector/ket) contains all the information about the state.

In this case, the z-spin-up state is not just a certain spin in the z-direction, but tells you everything about any spin measurement. The state of z-spin-up means that a measurement of spin in the z-direction returns spin-up with 100%, which might suggest that it is simply spin-up in the z-direction. But, it also tells you that a measurement of spin in the x or y directions returns spin-up and spin-down with 50% each. And, using linear algebra, you can calculate the probabilities for measurements about any other axis as well.

I'm not familiar with McIntyre, but he ought to cover the maths as well as any other author. I think the book has a good reputation.

If using the word "vector" to describe the elements of a Hilbert space confuses you, you could call them "elements" or "states". As PeroK says, they are separate entities from vectors in 3D space. Although bear in mind that the 3D physical space of Euclidean geometry is also a Hilbert space.

You might have less consternation if you considered polarisation. The |H> and |V> states are clearly orthogonal and any other vector might be built from a sum of the two. However with spin the states of up and down states are orthogonal so it’s more tricky to picture.

1. What is Hilbert Space and how is it related to spin states?

Hilbert Space is a mathematical concept that is used to represent quantum states, including spin states. It is a complex vector space that allows for the description of both discrete and continuous states. In terms of spin states, Hilbert Space is used to represent the possible orientations of a particle's spin.

2. Why is it important to understand spin states in Hilbert Space?

Understanding spin states in Hilbert Space is crucial for studying quantum mechanics and its applications. Spin states play a significant role in determining the properties and behavior of particles, and their accurate representation is crucial for making predictions and calculations.

3. How are spin states represented in Hilbert Space?

Spin states are represented as vectors in Hilbert Space, with each vector corresponding to a specific spin orientation. The length of the vector represents the probability of observing the particle in that particular spin state, while the direction of the vector represents the direction of the spin.

4. Can spin states in Hilbert Space be measured?

Yes, spin states in Hilbert Space can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as electron spin resonance or neutron spin echo. These measurements provide information about the spin state of a particle, which can then be used to make predictions about its behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to understanding spin states in Hilbert Space?

While Hilbert Space is a powerful mathematical tool, it does have some limitations when it comes to representing spin states. For example, it cannot fully capture the phenomenon of quantum entanglement, where two particles are intrinsically linked and their spin states cannot be described independently. Additionally, the concept of spin states in Hilbert Space is limited to spin-1/2 particles, and different mathematical frameworks are needed for particles with higher spin values.