Hinged Valve Submerged in Water

In summary: Thank you for your help. I think I understand now. I will try to integrate the moments to find the depth d.In summary, the problem involves finding the depth d of water necessary for an automatic valve to open. The valve consists of a 225x225 mm square plate, pivoted about a horizontal axis at a distance of 90 mm above the lower edge. Using the equation F = ∫∫A P * dA and the fact that the valve will begin to open when the force on the top of the hinge equals the force on the bottom, we can set up equations to determine the depth d. Integrating the moments of the differential forces above and below the hinge, we can find the value of d to
Captain1024

Homework Statement

An automatic valve consists of a 225 X 225 mm square plate that is pivoted about a horizontal axis through A located at a distance h = 90 mm above the lower edge. Determine the depth (d) of the water for which the valve will open." Given: h = 90 mm, y = 225 mm
*Answer given in the back of the book = 300 mm*

Diagram: http://imgur.com/BuFIEUU

Homework Equations

F = Pressure(P) * Area(A)

F = ∫∫A P * dA

Pressure P = ρgh, where
g = 9.81 m/s^2
h = depth in meters
ρ = density = 10^3 kg/m^3

The Attempt at a Solution

My theory: If the force on the valve above the hinge equals the force on the valve below the hinge, the valve will begin to open.

Force on Top: FTOP = [itex]\int ^{225}_{0}\int ^{225}_{90} \rho g(d-y) dydx[/itex]

Simplified: FTOP = 255[itex]\int ^{225}_{90} \rho g(d-y) dy[/itex]

Force on bottom: FBOT = [itex]\int ^{225}_{0}\int ^{90}_{0} \rho g(d-y) dydx[/itex]

Simplified: FBOT = 255[itex]\int ^{90}_{0} \rho g(d-y) dy[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] FTOP = FBOT

Equate: 255[itex]\int ^{225}_{90} \rho g(d-y) dy[/itex] = 255[itex]\int ^{90}_{0} \rho g(d-y) dy[/itex]

Simplify: [itex]\int ^{225}_{90} (d-y) dy[/itex] = [itex]\int ^{90}_{0} (d-y) dy[/itex]

Integrate: (dy - [itex]\frac{y^2}{2}[/itex]|[itex]\stackrel{225}{90}[/itex]) = (dy - [itex]\frac{y^2}{2}[/itex]|[itex]\stackrel{90}{0}[/itex])

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] 135d - 21262.5 = 90d - 4050

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] 45d = 17212.5

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] d = 382.5 mm

Answer given in book = 300 mm

4. Notes

I know there are many ways to solve this problem. I would like to see a solution involving calculus because I believe that is where all other solution methods are derived from. Thanks in advance.

Captain1024

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Captain 1024. Welcome to PF!

Captain1024 said:
My theory: If the force on the valve above the hinge equals the force on the valve below the hinge, the valve will begin to open.

You want the hinge to rotate about the axis at A. The rotational analog of force is torque.

Thank you for your greetings. What equation should I use to find the torque about hinge A?

Captain1024 said:
Thank you for your greetings. What equation should I use to find the torque about hinge A?
If ph is the pressure at the hinge, and z is the distance above the hinge, what is the pressure at z? What is the differential force dF acting on the region of the plate between z and z + dz. What is the moment of this differential force about the hinge? What is the moment about the hinge of all the differential forces for the portion of the plate above the hinge? What is the moment about the hinge of all the differential forces for the portion of the plate below the hinge?

Chet

Ph = ρ*g*(d-h)

Pz = (d - h - z)(ρg)

Not sure on this part. F = [itex]\int \rho gd*dz[/itex]

As for moments, we have been using the sum of the moments about a point are zero to find unknowns. Are you asking me to do the same?

Think about filling the container with the fluid. When the depth of the fluid is below point A, you can see that the pressure of the fluid on the plate would create a counterclockwise moment on the plate about point A. The ledge B prevents the plate from opening by exerting a clockwise moment on the plate. As the fluid level rises above point A, the fluid pressure due to fluid above point A will exert a clockwise moment.

The valve will be on the verge of opening when the net torque on the plate (about point A) due to the fluid pressure is zero. So, you need to find the depth d for this situation.

For a strip of the valve of thickness dz at depth z, can you find an expression of the moment arm (relative to A) of the fluid force dF on the strip in terms of d, h, and z?

Attachments

• Fluid Valve.png
    Fluid Valve.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
Captain1024 said:
Ph = ρ*g*(d-h)

Pz = (d - h - z)(ρg)

Not sure on this part. F = [itex]\int \rho gd*dz[/itex]
No. The differential force is dF = P(z) dz. The differential moment is dM = P(z) zdz. Just integrate the moment over the part of the plate above the hinge. Then integrate the moment over the part of the plate below the hinge.

Chet

1. What is a hinged valve submerged in water?

A hinged valve submerged in water is a type of valve that is used to control the flow of water or other fluids. It consists of a hinged flap that can be opened or closed to allow or prevent the passage of water.

2. How does a hinged valve submerged in water work?

The hinged valve works by using a hinge mechanism to open and close the valve. When the valve is opened, the flap rotates around the hinge, allowing water to pass through. When the valve is closed, the flap seals against the valve seat, preventing water from passing through.

3. What are the advantages of using a hinged valve submerged in water?

One of the main advantages of using a hinged valve submerged in water is its ability to control the flow of water in a precise and efficient manner. It also has a simple design, making it easy to install and maintain. Additionally, hinged valves are highly resistant to corrosion and can withstand high pressures.

4. What are the common applications of hinged valves submerged in water?

Hinged valves submerged in water are commonly used in various industries, including water treatment plants, irrigation systems, and sewage systems. They are also used in residential and commercial plumbing systems to control the flow of water in faucets and toilets.

5. How do you maintain a hinged valve submerged in water?

To ensure the proper functioning of a hinged valve submerged in water, it is important to regularly inspect and clean the valve. This includes checking for any debris or buildup on the valve and its components, as well as lubricating the hinge mechanism. If any damage or wear is found, the valve should be repaired or replaced as needed.