Historical and Philosophical Foundations for Mathematics, Writing a Math Book

In summary, the conversation was about the speaker's attempt to create a brief book on mathematics, with a focus on calculus. The speaker mentioned feeling guilty for skipping over certain topics and being open to feedback on the content. They also shared a link to download the book and received a suggestion to use a more secure site. Further suggestions were given for additional topics to include in the book, such as basic formulas and equations in algebra and geometry, as well as explanations of the motivation behind certain mathematical concepts. The conversation also touched on the importance of orthogonality in breaking down systems into independent entities.
Caramon
Hello,
Recently I've been attempting to put together a brief book on mathematics. The first section is short and introductory as I lead up into calculus. I kind of feel bad that I skipped over conics, geometric series, permutations and combinations, transformations of functions, and so many other topics... but I assume anyone who would be reading at this level already knows that and is possibly looking for a brief recap or some additional insight.

I'm by no means a professional mathematician and am finishing my undergraduate in Astrophysics so I am not a math major either. Please let me know if any information is erroneous or does not make sense, and all feedback is appreciated!

Here it is for download:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/historicalandphilosophicalfoundationsformathematics"

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd be happy to give your book a look-through, but I'm not downloading it from that site. If you want, post a link to a PDF or a more secure source.

Why not put the document on scribd? www.scribd.com
It's a very reliable site!

I found it very interesting you should update the thread when you add more to it. I would add a section on the basic formulas/equations in algebra II and Geometry. It really goes well with the recap you mentioned in your first post: Like Area,Perimeter and Volume for basic shapes. You could also go into detail on how these formulas were discovered.

A couple of suggestions

When talking about calculus, you could explain the motivation of trying to find different measures (like length, area, volume etc) in cases where you don't have straight lines: so basically its the generalization of linear problems to non-linear problems.

If you ever get into topics of certain mathematical structures (like say groups, vector spaces and so on), you could probably state the motivation for these is purely to find properties of these systems which are valuable since a lot of these abstract entities exist in many scenarios in different forms.

I guess if you are talking about orthogonality, you could mention that the importance of orthogonality whether it relates to vectors in euclidean geometry, or functions in Fourier transforms, is that essentially every item is essentially "independent" of every other item and modifying the value of one item (like say in a vector) won't change the others. So in essence orthogonality is an organized way to "decompose" any system into independent entities. This kind of "atomic analysis" let's you find ways to break down systems into simpler systems, and as a tool in science, you can see why it is particularly important.

1. What is the significance of studying the historical and philosophical foundations of mathematics?

Studying the historical and philosophical foundations of mathematics allows us to understand the origins and development of mathematical concepts and theories. It also provides insights into the cultural, social, and intellectual contexts in which mathematics has evolved, giving us a deeper appreciation for the subject.

2. How can knowledge of historical and philosophical foundations inform the writing of a math book?

Understanding the historical and philosophical foundations of mathematics can help a writer to present mathematical concepts in a more engaging and relatable manner. It allows the writer to provide context and examples from different historical periods and cultures, making the subject more accessible to a wider audience.

3. What are some important historical and philosophical influences on modern mathematics?

Some important historical and philosophical influences on modern mathematics include ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians, Greeks, and Babylonians, as well as the contributions of prominent mathematicians such as Euclid, Pythagoras, and Descartes. The development of mathematical theories and concepts was also greatly influenced by philosophical movements such as rationalism and empiricism.

4. How can understanding the philosophical foundations of mathematics contribute to critical thinking?

Studying the philosophical foundations of mathematics can help develop critical thinking skills by encouraging a deeper analysis and questioning of mathematical concepts and their underlying assumptions. It also allows individuals to consider different perspectives and approaches to problem-solving, leading to a more well-rounded and comprehensive understanding of mathematics.

5. What are some challenges that may arise when writing a math book that incorporates historical and philosophical foundations?

One challenge that may arise is finding a balance between providing enough historical and philosophical context without overwhelming the reader with too much information. It can also be challenging to accurately represent the diverse perspectives and contributions of various cultures and time periods. Additionally, the writer must ensure that the historical and philosophical content does not overshadow or distract from the main focus of the book, which is teaching mathematics.