Exploring the Durability of Teflon and Anodized Aluminum in Everyday Use

In summary, if you want to be able to make your own steel, you will need to have a low carbon content, and a high amount of slag. You will also need to have a good understanding of metallurgy in order to make the steel properly.
SETHOSCOTT
I want to talk about metallurgy on here. I'm studying the history of ferrous metallurgy, and know some simple forms of steel, but I want to know everything I can learn before I go, if I go, into college. Someone help me out. If not, TY anyways.:smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org

If you will know everything, will it still make sense to go to the college?

SETHOSCOTT said:
I want to talk about metallurgy on here. I'm studying the history of ferrous metallurgy, and know some simple forms of steel, but I want to know everything I can learn before I go, if I go, into college. Someone help me out. If not, TY anyways.:smile:

Do you believe you can prepare enough before going to college? Attend a community college which has a materials technology program or a Metallurgy program. A metallurgical program may give you enough of the preparation that you want.

Well, can I take it, while being so young?

Problem is not in the age, but whether you know enough to understand more advanced ideas. Doesn't make sense to discuss phase diagram of carbon/iron alloys:

http://www.substech.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=iron-carbon_phase_diagram

if you have no idea what phase is. As of now could be you will spend your time more wisely learning just general math/physics/chemistry instead of trying to pursue pure metallurgy. But I know nothing about your knowledge level, so it is just a stab in the dark :wink:

Well, I don't, I can learn how to do it at least nomadically for now. TY for taking your time on this.

No, wait, yea, I think I know what phase is, it's the amount of impurity inside the metal, but in your diagram it shows cast iron, and carbon steel, but no wrought, I'm interested in the basic, just-go-out-and-do-that feel, just the basics of metallurgy, so if I can't get any steel, or iron anywhere, I can still make it myself.

SETHOSCOTT said:
I think I know what phase is, it's the amount of impurity inside the metal

No, you don't know what the phase is :tongue2:

Ohhh, OK, sorry.

You might try this link, it is about metallurgy for knifemakers and people who forge steel.

http://www.feine-klingen.de/PDFs/verhoeven.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Kool, TY dude! This'll be real useful!

This topic is more suited for our Materials & Chemical Engineering forum.

Phase has to do with microstructure, which is somewhat dependent on composition.

Wrought (steel) refers to a worked material, as opposed to cast or annealed. Materials that are hot or cold work have a greater dislocation density than cast/annealed materials.

Wrought iron is nearly pure iron with an appreciable amount of slag impurities and with such a low carbon content so as not to qualify as steel. The 'wrought' comes from the vigorous forging and squeezing to expel a large of amount of the slag material, but it's incomplete.

Short History of the Making of Iron and Steel
http://www.carolinarustica.com/article.asp?ai=262&bhcd2=1236902827

http://www.architecturaliron.com/aic/wroughtironcastiron.shtml

A practical application - Metallurgy of the U.S. Capitol Dome
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/div853/Publication files/NIST_TN1500_11_Dome_Micro69.pdf

The metallography and heat treatment of iron and steel (look for pdf)

One may wish to review articles here - http://steel.keytometals.com/default.aspx?ID=Articles

Well, yea, but I thought wrought iron was only considered an iron due to slag? Your statement says;

Astronuc said:
...Wrought iron is nearly pure iron with an appreciable amount of slag impurities and with such a low carbon content so as not to qualify as steel. The 'wrought' comes from the vigorous forging and squeezing to expel a large of amount of the slag material, but it's incomplete.

I thought if there was less carbon, it'd be called a steel, such as the rule that anything that is >2.1% carbon became iron, or is there a limit for minimal amounts of carbon? If so, what is the minimal amount of carbon necessary to consider a metal to be called an iron? Sorry if I'm underminding your prowess.

Ohhh, duh, TY for the sites, too.

SETHOSCOTT said:
Well, yea, but I thought wrought iron was only considered an iron due to slag?

I thought if there was less carbon, it'd be called a steel, such as the rule that anything that is >2.1% carbon became iron, or is there a limit for minimal amounts of carbon? If so, what is the minimal amount of carbon necessary to consider a metal to be called an iron?
I think you may be referring to cast iron, which has high carbon content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel
Steel is an alloy consisting mostly of iron, with a carbon content between 0.2% and 2.14% by weight.

Wrought iron has very little carbon, but about 1-3% slag, and cast iron starts at about 2.1% C by weight.

Steels are generally quite clean of impurities like S, P, Cl, Mg, Ca, . . . .

See also - http://www.steel.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Learning_Center

So if it's more impure than those levels, then it's not steel? If it were possible to have completely pure iron, what would it be?

Man, TY a lot for these sites, I really appreciate the time you're spending on this thread.

Sethoscott

Iron has no appreciable carbon in it. Adding carbon to iron makes it steel, if the carbon content goes above about 2% gives you cast iron. The addition of other alloying metals such as Moly, chrome, manganese etc instill other properties in the steel. PM me with your email address and I will send you some information in MS Word format that will give you a basic understanding of steel.

Woody,
I purchased an expensive cooking pot that was supposed to be anodized aluminum, but after using it several times the dark interior finish appears to be rubbing off. Do you know what is going on here? The pot cost me over a hundred U.S. dollars so I thought it was genuine but now I am not so sure.
John Brown

Teflon?

John:

It could be teflon or one of the cousins to it. Also Anodizing is only a few thousandths of an inch thick so it is easy to wear through it with even the teflon safe utensils. I have seen pistols with anodized aluminum frames with the anodizing worn off just over a period of time from rubbing against the leather holster. Teflon also wears off, where it goes I don't know but I do know that peanut butter no longer sticks to the roof of my mouth :smile:

What is ferrous metallurgy?

Ferrous metallurgy is the study and production of iron and steel, which are two of the most widely used and important metals in human history. It involves the process of extracting iron from its ores and combining it with carbon to create steel.

When did the history of ferrous metallurgy begin?

The history of ferrous metallurgy can be traced back to around 1500 BC in the Near East, where iron was first smelted and used for tools and weapons. However, it wasn't until the 19th century that the modern production of steel was developed.

What are some key developments in the history of ferrous metallurgy?

Some key developments in the history of ferrous metallurgy include the invention of the blast furnace in the 14th century, the Bessemer process in the 19th century, and the development of electric arc furnaces in the 20th century. These advancements greatly increased the production and quality of iron and steel.

How has ferrous metallurgy impacted human civilization?

Ferrous metallurgy has played a crucial role in human civilization, particularly in the development of agriculture, transportation, and warfare. It has also been instrumental in shaping industrialization and modernization, as iron and steel are essential materials in construction, manufacturing, and technology.

What are some current applications of ferrous metallurgy?

Today, ferrous metallurgy continues to be a vital industry, with applications in construction, transportation, energy, and more. Iron and steel are used to create everything from buildings and bridges to cars and appliances, and are also essential in the production of renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and solar panels.