Hitting time of two or three parallel random walks

In summary, the conversation discusses a one-dimensional random walk on the integer lattice, its hitting time and expected time to reach specific integers. The idea of finding the minimum of hitting times for multiple independent random walks is introduced, but it is found to be incorrect through computer simulation. The conversation then shifts to discussing the expected minimum of two independent random variables and how it falls under the category of order statistics. The Bapat-Beg theorem is mentioned as potentially relevant. It is suggested to start a new thread for more specific questions related to graph theory.
opapa
Consider a one-dimensional random walk on the integer lattice, starting at 0. The next step is decided to be +1 or -1 with equal probability 0.5. The hitting time (the expected time required for the random walk to reach any integer α -- also called the first-passage time) will be [itex]\Theta(\alpha^2)[/itex], since random walks are martingales. Similarly, given two numbers (α<0 and β>0), the expected time for the random walk to reach either α or β is α*β.

In my case, I have two or more independent random walks r1, r2, …, that run in parallel, and I want to find the expected time required for at least one of these random walks ri to reach either αi or βi (notice that the boundaries αi and βi can be different for each random walk). My initial intuition was that, since these random walks are independent, I could find the hitting time for each random walk and get the minimum, but I found this to be wrong through a computer simulation.

Any pointers?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
opapa said:
My initial intuition was that, since these random walks are independent, I could find the hitting time for each random walk and get the minimum

If we throw two fair dice, is it intuitive that the expected minimum of the two dice would be the minmum of their two expected values? If it were, then the expected minimum from throwing two dice would be the same as the expected minimum from throwing one die, since we'd take the minimum of two equal numbers.

Thanks for the response. You are right of course that I cannot deduce something from the expected values for each walk, I need to compute the expected value from scratch.

Trying to recompute the hitting time for two random walks RW1 and RW2 (in the lines of the proof of Lemma 0.2 from http://www.cs.cornell.edu/courses/cs4850/2010sp/Scribe%20Notes%5CLecture18.pdf ), I realized that it gets very complex. The main difference is that now I am not interested in reaching a point for a first time, but in reaching a group of points, e.g., when RW11 or RW22. Furthermore, one can reach any point (RW1=i, RW2=j) following paths for which the last step is not necessarily (RW1=i-1, RW2=j-1). Therefore, it is not clear to me how the starting equation in Lemma 0.2 will be adapted for 2 dimensions.

Is there any other direction that does not have these issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding the distribution of the minimum of two independent random variables falls under the heading of "order statistics". The distribution of the minimum depends only on the distrubutions of the random variables involved. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bapat–Beg_theorem

If you have a more complicated question that is particular to graph theory, I think you should post it in a new thread and put something indicating graph theory in the title.

Likes 1 person
Thanks! The theorem seems relevant. I will have a look at it, and, if needed, I will initiate a new thread as suggested.

1. What is the "hitting time" of two or three parallel random walks?

The hitting time of two or three parallel random walks is the amount of time it takes for each walk to reach a specific point or set of points. This can also be thought of as the number of steps each walk takes before reaching a predetermined destination.

2. How is the hitting time of two or three parallel random walks calculated?

The hitting time can be calculated by simulating multiple parallel random walks and recording the number of steps it takes for each walk to reach the desired point. The average of these recorded steps gives an estimate of the hitting time.

3. What factors can affect the hitting time of two or three parallel random walks?

The hitting time can be affected by various factors, such as the starting point of the walks, the step size of each walk, and the number of walks being simulated. Additionally, the presence of obstacles or barriers in the path of the walks can also impact the hitting time.

4. How is the hitting time of two or three parallel random walks useful in research?

The hitting time of two or three parallel random walks is commonly used in mathematical and statistical research to model and analyze various phenomena, such as diffusion processes, chemical reactions, and stock market movements. It can also be used to study the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future states.

5. Can the hitting time of two or three parallel random walks be applied in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the concept of hitting time of two or three parallel random walks has practical applications in various fields, such as finance, physics, and biology. For example, it can be used to predict the time it takes for a chemical reaction to occur or the time it takes for a stock to reach a certain price. It can also be used to model the spread of diseases or the movement of particles in a liquid.