Hollow shere energy and velocity

In summary: J.In summary, a hollow sphere with a radius of 0.150 m and rotational inertia of 0.0513 kg·m2 rolls without slipping up an incline at 25.3° to the horizontal. At a certain initial position, the sphere's total kinetic energy is 54.0 J. When the sphere has moved 1.10 m up the incline, its total kinetic energy is 15.75 J. The speed of the center of mass at the initial position is 4.34 m/s.
tebes

Homework Statement

A hollow sphere of radius 0.150 m, with rotational inertia I = 0.0513 kg·m2 about a line through its center of mass, rolls without slipping up a surface inclined at 25.3° to the horizontal. At a certain initial position, the sphere's total kinetic energy is 54.0 J. (a) How much of this initial kinetic energy is rotational? (b) What is the speed of the center of mass of the sphere at the initial position? When the sphere has moved 1.10 m up the incline from its initial position, what are (c) its total kinetic energy and (d) the speed of its center of mass?

Homework Equations

Beforehand, I use rotational inertia to get mass already.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a and b.
for (c),
I let
mgh = 54 J
solve for h.
h = 1.61 m
then, sin θ = opp/hyp
solve for hyp , and i got 3.77 m
(3.77 + 1.1 ) sin 25.3° = 2.08 m
mg( 2.08 - 1.61) = 15.75 J
but the answer is wrong. Can someone point out my mistake. Thank you.

For (d)
I used conservation of energy.
let mgh = 1/2 Iw^2 + 1/2 mv^2
then, I transformed the equation above into
mgh = 5/6 mv^2
solve for v.
I got 4.34 m/s
But the answer is wrong. Can someone point out my mistake. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the sphere has moved 1.10 m up the incline from its initial position, what are (c) its total kinetic energy
So why do you still use 54 J when it has lost mg*1.1*sin 25.3° of that energy?
Begin with the 1.1 m, find the corresponding height and energy. Subtract from 54.

1. What is hollow sphere energy?

Hollow sphere energy is the potential energy that is stored within a hollow sphere due to its shape and distribution of mass. It is also known as the gravitational potential energy of a hollow sphere.

2. How is the energy of a hollow sphere calculated?

The energy of a hollow sphere can be calculated using the formula E = -(3/5)*(G*m*M)/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the hollow sphere and the object being attracted, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between hollow sphere energy and velocity?

As the energy of a hollow sphere increases, the velocity of an object moving towards it also increases. This is because the gravitational force between the hollow sphere and the object increases, resulting in a greater acceleration and velocity.

4. Can hollow sphere energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, hollow sphere energy can be converted into kinetic energy when an object is moving towards the hollow sphere. It can also be converted into thermal energy if the object collides with the hollow sphere and causes it to heat up.

5. How does the velocity of an object affect the hollow sphere energy?

The velocity of an object affects the hollow sphere energy by increasing or decreasing the amount of potential energy stored within the hollow sphere. A higher velocity results in a greater amount of energy being transferred to the object, while a lower velocity results in less energy being transferred.