Hologram be fully 3-dimensional

• Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hologram
In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a hologram device for a school project using a HeNe laser and the expected appearance of the hologram. It is suggested to refer to the Holography Handbook for practical tips, with a particular emphasis on coherence length of the laser. The process of making a hologram involves exposing photographic film to two laser wavefronts, resulting in a 3-dimensional image when viewed with the original source laser. However, it is noted that the hologram may appear smaller in size and the cause of this scaling is not clear.
z-component
I am constructing a hologram device for a school project. The hologram will be made with a HeNe laser, but what can I expect it to actually look like? If constructed correctly, will the hologram be fully 3-dimensional like the original object? I can't find any good pictures of an actual demonstration online.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it will be of help, but try to find a copy of the Holography Handbook.

http://www.rossbooks.com/HH/hh.html

It has many practical suggestions for making your own holograms. I found the coherence length comments about the source laser to be especially important (and that alone kept me from making any holograms with my dumpy HeNe laser). When you make a hologram, you are exposing photographic film (no lenses) to two incident laser wavefronts, one directly from the source laser, and another that is split off and reflecting off the subject. After you develop the photographic film (and maybe do some more processing?), you can use the original source laser to view the image on the film, and it appears to have 3-D qualities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I checked out that site and it's a nice resource. It appears that the hologram is scaled down in size. Which aspect of the construction (i.e. the lenses or mirrors) causes this scaling?

What is a hologram?

A hologram is a three-dimensional image created by the interference of light beams from a laser or other coherent light source.

How does a hologram work?

A hologram is created by splitting a laser beam into two separate beams, one of which is directed onto the object being recorded. The other beam is directed onto a recording medium, usually photographic film or a digital sensor. The two beams then interfere with each other, creating a pattern that is recorded on the medium. When the hologram is illuminated by another laser beam, the original object's light waves are recreated, resulting in a 3-dimensional image.

Can a hologram be fully 3-dimensional?

Yes, a hologram can be fully 3-dimensional. Unlike a traditional photograph or image, which is only two-dimensional, a hologram captures and recreates the light waves in three dimensions, resulting in a realistic 3D image.

What are some practical applications of holograms?

Holograms have a variety of practical applications, including security features on credit cards and IDs, product packaging, and medical imaging. They are also used in entertainment, such as holographic concerts and displays.

Are there any limitations to holograms?

One limitation of holograms is that they can only be viewed using a laser or other coherent light source, making them difficult to reproduce or share. Additionally, holograms can be expensive and time-consuming to create, limiting their widespread use in everyday applications.