Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holographic Me

1. Dec 11, 2004 #1
    Holographic Me!!!

i have a question:

is there anyway that i and the world be holographic and if so please explain in scientific terms?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2004 #2
    It's called the AdS/CFT correspondence. Look it up on Google. There is also a dS/CFT correspondence, but from what I've seen it isn't as popular.

4. Dec 12, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the difference between a holograph and a hologram?

5. Dec 12, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Traditionally, a holograph is a document written entirely in the handwriting of the person whose signature it bears.

Catching up with the 20th century and from what I can see, holograph is a popular but incorrect application of the word holography. A hologram is made using holography.

6. Dec 12, 2004 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm curious about this because a co-worker once told me that all hologram technology is owned by Merv Griffin Enterprises. I just thought that was weird.

7. Dec 12, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea how that could make any sense... maybe if this involves some kind of media technology, or maybe one particular process... but not holograms in general.

8. Dec 12, 2004 #7

Mk

Do you mean something like... the holographic principle? http://wordiq.com/definition/Holographic_principle

I'm also familiar with an issue of Scientific American with the cover saying something like... "Could the entire universe be a hologram?"

9. Dec 12, 2004 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am thinking of media and display. The guy who told me this was really into 3-D animation. I think he was specifically referring to a device that would project an (animated) 3-D image.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?